Welsummers laying white eggs - is something going wrong?

So now I have a breeding flock of 1 Welsummer roo and 13 Welsummer hens. They are all 9-11 months old and have plenty of coop and run. I get about 5 eggs a day, either brown specked with darker brown, light brown speckled with dark brown....and one white or cream-colored egg.

Are there Cream Legbars with no crest? I used a reputable hatchery in Missouri.

If you plan to hatch eggs from this flock, only hatch from the darkest eggs; that's how you can develop the darker colored eggs you are looking for. If possible, ID the cockerels from those darkest eggs as possible future sires.
Mary

If you plan to hatch eggs from this flock, only hatch from the darkest eggs; that's how you can develop the darker colored eggs you are looking for. If possible, ID the cockerels from those darkest eggs as possible future sires.
Mary
That is a good idea, I did that with my Leghorns, one was cream colored. I think it was a Austra White from the hatchery that got mixed in with my hatcheries choice part of my order. If I cannot identify the hen and remove her that is what I will do. I think there might be too many hens for the roo "Franz" to fertilize them all consistently. The flock is a mix of 9, 10 and 11 month olds (13 total, with another in the main flock denying capture...). Their crest is varying in size, I guess according to their age. Perhaps they will lay more frequently in only a month?

This is easy, and you can keep all the hens if you have the room, for their eggs. But be very selective in which eggs get incubated!
When you are cracking eggs for eating, check how many are fertilized. Your rooster may be doing a super job, or not. Hopefully most will be fertile, and you will know.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom