Welsummers laying white eggs - is something going wrong?

Helen_Jayne

Songster
5 Years
Jun 7, 2018
Sheffield, UK
We have two welsummers which started out when we first got them laying light brown speckled eggs but when our silkie started laying, their eggs started to be white. They are so white they are difficult to identify next to the silkie's, you can only tell them apart through the shape. (We only have the three adult hens).

I've read welsummers lay chocolate brown eggs but these two have never laid them that dark even when they first moved in.

They are good layers, laying one a day every day and sometimes (is this even possible?) there seem to be two a day. I read the bleaching can be down to a lack of shade but they spend a good part of their day under bushes and lying under a bench which is in the shade of a tree. There is plenty of shade in the garden where they free range and I've put bowls of water everywhere which I top up every day.

Could this indicate a health problem? I've noticed their shells are quite a bit thinner than the silkies and they have a habit of dropping eggs off the roost bars or just randomly dropping one off as they go, on the path or the doormat. I don't imagine they're stressed, they have a routine and spend plenty of time sprawled out dust-bathing without paying much attention to what's going on around them. Their combs look good. They have lots of room to roam and as chicken's lives go theirs aren't at all bad! There have been some nest box politics going on but the welsummers now lay in one box and the silkie has a nest behind the shed door. They rejected the nesting boxes my fiancee spent ages building! He thinks it's down to the silkie laying white eggs and they all came in line, but could that be possible?

Last edited:
I've read welsummers lay chocolate brown eggs but these two have never laid them that dark even when they first moved in.
They are supposed to be a dark reddish brown, often called terra cotta. But not all lines lay good color.

He thinks it's down to the silkie laying white eggs and they all came in line, but could that be possible?
No, it could not.

It could be some kind of stressor.
How big is coop and run, in meters x meters?
Dimensions and pics would help.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Can you include a picture of the hens in question? Sounds like you have light brown Leghorns.
That was my first thought at seeing the title.

They are free range in a fairly decent size garden. There are cats but the chickens chase the cats regularly and they're all very used to each other. A bit blurry but here they are with the silkie. They roost in a shed at night on a high roost and I lock them in til 7am. They eat bantam layers pellets from pet store UK. I can find the make if it helps.
20190226_155717.jpg

The woman was a breeder of all sorts of different birds and she said she won best in show for her welsummers. They look like the welsummers on google images (!) What makes you think they aren't? (Other than the egg colour).

The woman was a breeder of all sorts of different birds and she said she won best in show for her welsummers. They look like the welsummers on google images (!) What makes you think they aren't?
Anyone can call themselves a 'breeder'....
...and google images are not always accurate either.

Here is a Welsummer female and male at about 14 weeks.
upload_2019-7-19_17-53-15.png

Crested Cream Legbar pullet:
upload_2019-7-19_17-54-50.png

Back
Top Bottom