Turning Storage building into Coop--surrounding fence/net suggestions?

Hootrvil

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2024
Hello! I'm turning a nice 10x12 storage building into a coop. I'm putting a 6' high fence for the run that will start at the edges of the coop and shoot out from the building on each side....if that makes sense. This building has the double doors which I will close at night. (until I manage an auto door). There's a big ramp that leads out of the coop to the ground.

I'm planning on some netting over the run for hawk proofing, but not sure if I need to have it go to the roof of the coop where the doors are open or what? I also want to add in a real window at some point.
Suggestions? Thank you!

20240508_094100.jpg

Attachments

• 20240508_094508.jpg
    20240508_094508.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 10
I’d have the netting go to the roof. That would minimize the chance of a hawk getting into the run. Maybe you could make the top half of the doors into a window?
Ooohhh...that's a clever idea! Will have to draw that up and see if I can manage it...thanks!

I'm not sure where the run is going. I thought you were coming out from the front so the run would be as wide as the building but it looks like that door opens so wide you can't do that. Maybe build a short section along the front to get out wide enough so you can open that door.

It looks like the building is raised but not enough for you to comfortably crawl through the chicken poop to get under there. I would block it off so the chickens cannot get under there as they will hide a nest under there or a chicken will crawl under there and die where you can't easily retrieve her.

I see you already have chickens in there. I'd install at least one window. Some people want it real bright in there and would put the window on the south or west wall. The chickens need to be able to see in there and so do you but I think they are calmer if is not that bright. It boils down to personal preference. I'd put the window on the north or east wall. In my 8x12 coop my window is on the north wall and it works well.

You need to add ventilation. I'd want it up high enough that any breezes are over the chickens' heads when they are on the roost. When adding framing for windows or ventilation I like to make a sandwich. Put a 1x3 or such inside and outside the metal wall and screw them together with the metal sandwiched in between. That gives you something solid to screw into plus any sharp edges that could cut you are covered. And you greatly stiffen that wall.

I'm not sure where the run is going. I thought you were coming out from the front so the run would be as wide as the building but it looks like that door opens so wide you can't do that. Maybe build a short section along the front to get out wide enough so you can open that door.

It looks like the building is raised but not enough for you to comfortably crawl through the chicken poop to get under there. I would block it off so the chickens cannot get under there as they will hide a nest under there or a chicken will crawl under there and die where you can't easily retrieve her.

I see you already have chickens in there. I'd install at least one window. Some people want it real bright in there and would put the window on the south or west wall. The chickens need to be able to see in there and so do you but I think they are calmer if is not that bright. It boils down to personal preference. I'd put the window on the north or east wall. In my 8x12 coop my window is on the north wall and it works well.

You need to add ventilation. I'd want it up high enough that any breezes are over the chickens' heads when they are on the roost. When adding framing for windows or ventilation I like to make a sandwich. Put a 1x3 or such inside and outside the metal wall and screw them together with the metal sandwiched in between. That gives you something solid to screw into plus any sharp edges that could cut you are covered. And you greatly stiffen that wall.
Yes, definitely blocking off the underside of coop...do NOT want to crawl under there for any reason. I've got the window plans in the making probably on the east and west sides. Hopefully i will have additional hands to help with this in the next few days! Thanks!

I would put a small chicken door into one of the doors. It could even be an automatic one.

If you made the double doors the back of the coop it would make it easier to clean out because you wouldn't have to be in the run to do it. Just make sure the chickens are in the run and open the doors up.

I would put a small chicken door into one of the doors. It could even be an automatic one.

If you made the double doors the back of the coop it would make it easier to clean out because you wouldn't have to be in the run to do it. Just make sure the chickens are in the run and open the doors up.
I would love to figure out an auto door!

Might depend on the planned litter management method. My coop litter becomes part of the run litter, so in that case you'd want the human access doors to open into the run.

Definitely block off the bottom because it's not really tall enough for chicken use but it's definitely attractive for rodents to nest. I'd put a cheap vinyl flooring inside to make it easier to clean out. The door being open and having the screen door is great for ventilation in the summer, but you also need good ventilation in the winter. The little vent you have is not nearly enough. Consider cutting a big triangular opening in the back near the ceiling and covering it with hardware cloth. Get an automatic chicken door and install it (takes about 10 minutes). Do not get the cheap plastic one. Spend the money for the metal one so it lasts for many years (although it might need a battery change). Don't forget to think about roosts. 1'/bird. Place them higher than the nesting boxes. Make sure they have a way to access the roosts and make sure the roosts are a good 15" from the wall or the wall will be disgusting daily. Chickens poop all night long and the poops are not dainty (not even bantam's poop is dainty). Storage for feed - you need a bin to put it in. Rats and mice chew through the bags. Heated waterer in winter if you get freezing temps, and a large enough one in summer that you can put frozen jugs of water in it to keep the water cool. I use a 13 gallon Rubbermaid trash can with drink cups attached in the summer. My coop has nesting boxes that I can access from the outside in case I just don't want to go in. The boxes open from the side rather than the top in order to keep them weather-proof. 1 nesting box/4-5 chickens is all you need. They often have a preferred box and I've seen where several will be in it at the same time. My feed boxes are buckets with pvc feeder tubes. I attached a picture of the feeder tube. You can get them at Tractor Supply, D & B Supply or online. The chickens stick their heads in to eat. The feed stays clean and there's less waste. Using these methods I can safely go away for a week. I use baseball netting over the free range area because of hawks and eagles. You can get a 4' x 100' roll of black hardware cloth from a company called Landmark on Amazon for $180. You need 10' minimum of run space for each bird. Plan for chicken math! Your coop is looking good!

Attachments

• 20240517_005347.jpg
    20240517_005347.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom