Turkey Nesting Ideas

Pine Roost

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
What do yall use as a nest box for turkey laying season? I have my birds in a large pen, easterns and BR, and want to go ahead and get something set up so they can get used to it. Is it better to have the laying/hatching area elevated or is it better for hens to lay eggs on the ground in an open bottom box? Some people tell me that eggs hatch better when the hen sits on them on the ground vs in an elevated box.....is this true?
I appreciate any advice that yall can share. Thanks

You can use used tires if you can put them under a shelter. And yes if you put the nest on the ground and the hen gets up the earth under the nest will keep the eggs warm and helps with the humidity too. Good Luck !!!

We've tried several methods over the years, before defaulting to `Any Old Corner Will Do' (after the hens have had their unauthorized, deep woods, nests destroyed - and the eggs trans. into the shed), they always catch on and are, now, pretty much inured to the drill. We use an old folding infant fence to separate out nesting hens/broods from the toms. The hens can come and go as needed but the poults are pretty safe for the first week-and-a-half, after which a section of fence is folded back to allow for passage of one and all, during day, owing to the poults' flying like eagles with no clue as to how to fly back in. Be prepared as 2.5-3wk old poults can clear 6 ft. fencing (on occasion).

Thank you for the comments. A corner will really not work for me as my birds are in a 2"x4" welded wire fence. I am thinking of making something simple for them to get under and also feel safe while sitting.

My turkeys lay on the ground in the chicken house or they lay in the chicken's nesting boxes. They love just chilling out on the ground that is covered with hay.

Last edited:
my hen likes to scratch and move all the straw away from the corner then digs a ways into the dirt. Tried a box, better to give a cat a bath than get her to use a box. lol

Back
Top Bottom