The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

Yup. Not complaining about it, this year I won't have any teeny teeny chicks to care for and worry about during the summer, I'll just get to enjoy the good parts of juveniles getting introduced to proper chicken life
All stages of chicken are positively enjoyable. ❤️ Its fun to watch them grow and mature!

Cute! It is fun watching them fly around. Bantams love it. How many weeks old are they currently? Mine are about three weeks and I already have two cockerels crowing. 🤦‍♀️
My cockerel Tintin is almost 7 weeks now and tsjilps like a bird.

Tintin sunbathing with his mama, his ex-mama and a 3th hen who is very friendly towards Tintin too.
IMG_4839.jpeg

My earliest was about 5 weeks old, I thought someone was dying :oops: he now proudly crows All Day Long... he's 7 weeks old tomorrow and sounds more normal, but it's still a baby crow 🤣

My youngest crowers were my silkied Red Cochin bantam boys that would first announce their manhood at 3 or 4 days old. Yes, days. :th

That's the plus side of raising LFs I guess, excess cockerels=food (that, and having the strength to butcher them, or find someone that can)
Bantams would not be good for that, then. Too small. Quartz (the dam) is about six inches tall and Jasper (the sire) is a little bit taller than that. I doubt their sons will be food-sized! What do you do with excess bantam cockerels? If you ever get those.

My youngest crowers were my silkied Red Cochin bantam boys that would first announce their manhood at 3 or 4 days old. Yes, days. :th
No. Just no. :eek:

Bantams would not be good for that, then. Too small. Quartz (the dam) is about six inches tall and Jasper (the sire) is a little bit taller than that. I doubt their sons will be food-sized! What do you do with excess bantam cockerels? If you ever get those.

No. Just no. :eek:

I've still got the serama mix cockerels in the freezer. Gave one to a family member (can't remember how they cooked it), said it was delicious. I usually raise them up, and give them to an acquaintance who butchers them for me. Some days later, I pick them up. I've yet to be asked for one of my males to be given as breeders, bit if that day comes, I might do it (if I don't want them for my breeding, and if I know the person taking them, I don't really trust the online thing)

Back
Top Bottom