SO much mud and poop from my ducks! how to manage it?

Aug 22, 2017
I have a natural dirt floor back yard with a small patio (tiled) area, two ducks and two chickens. My ducks are the messy ones obviously and the entire backyard gets coated in mud and poo within a day or two. My ducks also have a small kitty pool that I dump out and refill everyday, so obviously that creates mud.
I've been wanting to plant grass, 1. because it'll look nicer, and 2. because I am hoping it'll act like a carpet sort of and the mud and water will just soak beneath it into the earth?? Cause without any covering on the ground, theres obviously mud being tracked in the house and whatnot.

But my question is, if I succeed in planting grass and it actually grows, will it act as a sponge for all the mud?
if not, what can I do?

Also, is your backyard in the sun or shade. If you have lots of shade, you won’t be able grow any grass.

If you have a small backyard and it gets wet with the pool and their waterers, I’m not sure the grass would stay. But if you get a grass that is thick and carpet like, it would help. But planting from seed would be pretty pointless in my opinion as they will mow or stomp the seedlings down before they grow well. If it were my yard and I had sun, I would put some zoysia sod down. And maybe in just a certain area if it’s too pricey?

It doesn’t get a lot of direct sun no, we are surrounded by redwoods, but there is a point at midday when it gets quite a bit of hot sun but that’s only for like an hour or two.
Also, is your backyard in the sun or shade. If you have lots of shade, you won’t be able grow any grass.

If you have a small backyard and it gets wet with the pool and their waterers, I’m not sure the grass would stay. But if you get a grass that is thick and carpet like, it would help. But planting from seed would be pretty pointless in my opinion as they will mow or stomp the seedlings down before they grow well. If it were my yard and I had sun, I would put some zoysia sod down. And maybe in just a certain area if it’s too pricey?
t

Back
Top Bottom