Silkie Sexing 3 months

scarletbaby

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 23, 2010
These silkies are about three months old. They came from show quality birds. I was wondering if you could help me sex them.
First silkie: Buff (No comb and is the smallest)

Second Silkie: 1 week older Black

Third silkie: Splash (Single comb has been developing since it was tiny)

Fourth Chicken: "Blue" (suppose to be blue but looks black to me. This one has a larger comb than black but it is still rather small)

Fifth: White (medium sized lumpy comb)

Group Picture

So what do you think? This is our first time getting silkies from a breeder so they look a lot diff than our hatchery chicks. Im fearful that they are all roosters except for the black and possibly the buff. Thanks for the help

Last edited:
None of them look, to me, like roosters. I had a black Silkie rooster that had a much bigger comb than all of yours at this same age. He never had noticeable streamers. Although I had another rooster with a very small comb that developed long streamers. There could be streamers starting to develop on yours but it's hard to tell from the pictures. They are beautiful Silkies! It'll be a little bit easier to tell in a few weeks.

They all look like pullets to me, but I could definitely be wrong. Silkies are very difficult to sex.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom