Sick LH...what to do?

MAT10

Chirping
Aug 25, 2023
Utah
Cotton isn't acting like herself. I'm not seeing anything physically wrong but she went off by herself & just sat. Not busy as usual. Gave her a dose of Nutri-Drench & massaged her crop area then she wanted back into the coop. Watched her leave & go back to the same spot away from the flock (10 birds). Checked on her about 30 minutes later & saw this... (pic)
My BO was snuggled next to her.

Last night I did find her in a nesting box (which she NEVER does) but I moved her out & she did roost. Last egg was laid about 2 days ago.

Do I isolate her?

Attachments

• 0428241547a.jpg
    0428241547a.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 0428241622.jpg
    0428241622.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 0428241620.jpg
    0428241620.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 4
When was her last egg?

Is she pooping, what's that like?
Crop emptying?

I'd start with giving extra Calcium for a few days. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Check her for lice/mites. If the crop is not emptying, address that symptom going by this article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

We just got back from a trip & I 'think' her last egg was the 25th? Maybe... Neighbor has been caring for them. I'll watch for one today.
No lice/mites. Yes to pooping & checked her this morning. Doing better & showing eating interest. Her crop felt different yesterday & I suspected impacted but not sure as I am so new to chicken care. It wasn't super full, but just different. Feels better this morning too. Must have worked itself out???

However, I do have questions about the calcium tabs. The hens all have access to crushed oyster but is that not always enough? I take the calcium for my osteoporosis & they are BIG pills. The question is... Are they not too big for a hen to just swallow? Makes me nervous😲

Will keep an eye on her to see if she keeps improving. Haven't check poop yet but she IS pooping. Coop clean out day today.

We just got back from a trip & I 'think' her last egg was the 25th? Maybe... Neighbor has been caring for them. I'll watch for one today.
No lice/mites. Yes to pooping & checked her this morning. Doing better & showing eating interest. Her crop felt different yesterday & I suspected impacted but not sure as I am so new to chicken care. It wasn't super full, but just different. Feels better this morning too. Must have worked itself out???

However, I do have questions about the calcium tabs. The hens all have access to crushed oyster but is that not always enough? I take the calcium for my osteoporosis & they are BIG pills. The question is... Are they not too big for a hen to just swallow? Makes me nervous😲

Will keep an eye on her to see if she keeps improving. Haven't check poop yet but she IS pooping. Coop clean out day today.
When a hen is in crisis and you think she may be having trouble with an egg, it's best to give a quick uptake form of Calcium like the Calcium Citrate as suggested. This is not long term, it's given for a few days to see if it helps, no more than one week.
Oyster shell should be provided free choice, it's a good source of Calcium, but must be processed through the gizzard and absorbed.

Yes, a hen can swallow a pill/tablet that large, but if you wish, break the tablet in half, give her a piece, let her swallow and repeat.

Re-check the crop first thing in the morning, it should be empty, if it's not, then following the article provided will help you determine treatment if necessary.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom