Show Me Some Ayam Cemani Mixes, Y'all!

Here is a picture of one of the half ayam cemani roos.
IMG_20180803_121453_hdr.jpg

Do the roos get BIG combs? I'm slightly worried about frostbite... Roos have occasionally gotten it here, even if they weren't stupid enough to sleep outside...
They all are different. I have lots of different kinds of hens. What type of mix are your chickens going to be? What type of hens do you have? My purebred ayam cemani does have a big comb. Thankfully it is cold here in winter, but not too cold.

Do the roos get BIG combs? I'm slightly worried about frostbite... Roos have occasionally gotten it here, even if they weren't stupid enough to sleep outside...
Henrik, you can always take a sharp pair of sissors and dock their combs. If you will Google " dock combs wattles " you'll see it's a quick and easy procedure that does no harm to the birds. Good luck up north there.

Henrik, a great way to sort out frost-bite in your combs is to breed away from large single combs. I'm working toward pea and rose combed birds in mine, as here in the damp UK we see a lot of frost-bite come winter. Both rose and pea are dominant genes; one copy will get those big combs gone, so breed your Ayams to Wyandottes, Brahma, Araucana, some gamefowl; a myriad of options available. Best of luck.

Henrik, a great way to sort out frost-bite in your combs is to breed away from large single combs. I'm working toward pea and rose combed birds in mine, as here in the damp UK we see a lot of frost-bite come winter. Both rose and pea are dominant genes; one copy will get those big combs gone, so breed your Ayams to Wyandottes, Brahma, Araucana, some gamefowl; a myriad of options available. Best of luck.
Down here in South Alabama I have noticed that the only birds up and running around playing and foraging in the heat of the day (98° in the shade) are the large single combed birds. The rest of them seek shade or go down to the creek where is cooler.
Could it be that those huge combs acts like big cooling radiators on their heads.

Back
Top Bottom