runner duck personality? and other duck questions

ben is a terror

Songster
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
We are getting a pair of house ducks I'm getting a buff or pekin, my daughter (12) wants a runner. I've heard so many different things about them. Some say they are nervous and distant. Some that they are sweet and cuddly. I don't want to get a duck she can't handle or bond with. If a runner is not the right breed then some suggestions would be great. Besides size what is the difference between a jumbo and standard pekin. Do the jumbos have to be kept on a special diet. What is the best breed for a house duck? They would go outside to play with the chickens and run around in their pool. Is it ok to leave them outside on nice summer nights in the chicken area of course. More questions to come but I think this is a good start.
What are the best books on the subject
thanks
duc.gif

I hand raise all my Runners and am surprised sometimes by how incredible they really are. I have about 30 at the moment- 20 adults outside who kind of split into two groups during the day when outside freeranging and 10 just hatched living in the house. One is a young group- all under 5 months old now - and the older group is between 8 to 19 months old. I have a few in each group that come running as soon as I step outside the back door- and a few also that were not hand raised me me that will always remain a little standoffish. A few years ago we raised a singe Aylesbury- he was great as a house duck. He was about 6 months old before he lived outside and still to this day loves to come inside for a visit. Being so big he is slow and kind of lazy- so likes to come in and sit in his little soft dogs bed. When he has had enough he just takes himself back outside again.

I raised 6 Runners and a JP last summer. The Runners werent standoffish but they do move more quickly than normal ducks. 1 of my Runners would let me pick her up and carry her round but she died when she was about 13 weeks I htink it was. My others come running when I go outside and greet me but none of them let me pick them up. If you are only getting 2 ducks you are going to have friendly ducks, just handle them every day and carry them round with you. Use peas as much as possible. when they are little mush it up in water to make a pea soup and about week 2 they can eat them whole. I give mine their peas at bath time, so its a case of quick wash...peas...wash...peas, wash, peas untill they are all gone and I also tell them peas. When they are older you just shout peas across the yard and they will come running to you so you know where they are.
My Jumbo is a comic too. She still lives with the Runners and not with my Pekins..I dont want to separate her from her sisters. Her hubby is a Runner...they realy are an odd couple, they are in my avatar but she does wear the trousers in their relationship
lol.png
There isnt to much of a difference in the Pekins and Jumbos. As long as you put Niacin in their water and give them lots of peas which also has Niacin in then she should be good. They do have a big waddle and you will laugh at her when shes trying to keep up with the Runners. I love my Runners & Pekins
lol.png

2 of my 3 are content with me scooping them up. The 3rd prefers to do things on her own and leave my hands off her, but she's now the first to run over to me and nibble on my toes if I don't have treats in my hands.
If you raise them in a small enough number, you SHOULD have some friendly ducks. Spend LOTS of time with them.
I love our runners.

I am close to your daughters age, and i have had all sorts of ducks, all hand raised. The breed i suggest for her is a pekin or a pekin crossbeed. Runners do tend to be more alert then other breed, and every time you stand up they will be wary. Although, they are very funny and are garenteed to cheer you up when your feeling down! If you lay down they will tickle you! Pekins are more slow and lazy and love to cuddle up to you infront of a nice warm fireplace. But, i belive, as do many others, that any breed can be a good house duck if you bring 'em up right. Muscovies are also a good go'er if you get past there looks.

ditto animalloverabh - I feel it mostly depends on how you raise them: time spent with them, a calm, friendly, safe environment, sufficient food and water (lack of these early can cause anxiety and nervousness), patience, and bribes.

I have ten runners. Easy to pick up, friendly, cooperative, not lap ducks but sit-right-next-to-me ducks, four of whom let me pet them, all but one eats from my hand.

I wanted a number of ducks because I am not available 24/7 for them, and I felt they needed a flock to be comfortable with when I am not around.

So, I'm repeating myself, but breed matters less than upbringing based on my experience and what I have heard and read.

I'm thinking maybe 2 pekin. What about buffs? Any others? I had a pekin ( I think) big white duck followed me Everywhere! I was hoping for 2 different breeds so we could tell them apart.
Thanks for the imput

I had gotten a random assortment of ducklings with one runner (Whitey), he was so tiny and cute. I didn't know what breed he was but he was my favorite so I handled him a lot and now he's really sweet. He can be a little skittish but he follows around our fatty duck Darkwing and uses him as a bodyguard
gig.gif
When all 10 ducks run, Whitey runs too, but when I have peas, I have a friend. He's my only experience with runners but I feel like they can be so sweet if cuddled a lot. My new batch of ducklings have 4 runners and they're all very calm with me. Since you're only getting 2 I'd say GO FOR IT! Runners are hilarious. As far as jumbo pekins go, I know one person on this forum had a JP who had leg problems because of his weight... I'm sorry I can't remember her name right now. Whatever you decide on, post pics!
smile.png
good luck

I have 6 show breeding quality runners form Dave Holderread's flock. They were my first ducks (along with some of his mini-ducks, silver appleyards and Overberg). I handled them some as babies, but not alot. They live outside and when I come to feed they literally get under my feet. One had a leg weakness for a while while growing; (I think she lacked enough niacin or calcium so I added it to her food and had to hold her to feed for a week), because of that , I think, she is the friendliest,(as far as picking up). What I noticed is; with runners, they react to fast movement, if I stand or sit or move slow they are right next to me. I didn't cuddle them, but bet if you did they would be calmer. I love runners, they are like Arabian horses (of which I have 2 1/2) so they appeal to me. I have penciled and intend to breed and show them , because I think they look kinda like penquins!!!
wee.gif

I must say the mini- appleyard female is very friendly as is the mini-Overberg,,but you can only get them a few places. I am going to try and breed some, but the SA has already quit laying this year, it looks like,
sad.png
got my incubator too late.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom