Pullet wing ripped off but so far okay, any suggestions?

Sylver Queen

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 21, 2014
California
Hello!

Asking for a friend who is not on BYC. ;) At least 3 weeks ago now he moved his pullets from the garage to an outside chick run and discovered one chick had a bald side. After he investigated he discovered she had a bloody nub with about half an inch of bone exposed due to a night where he forgot to close the garage door and a raccoon reached in and ripped off this poor chicky's wing. 😱 She's a stud though, still kicking! The flesh is like I said about half an inch down but even just a few days ago the bone itself was bleeding but we've been BluKoting it and it seems to have crusted over. He's wondering if he can super glue it or something to protect it and see if she'll survive. She hasn't died of infection yet and she seems okay, we're convincing her to eat and like I said it has been weeks! Any tips for how to keep it protected so miss peg wing can go back out with her flock? She's about 8 weeks old.
Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20240514_010122599~2.jpg
    PXL_20240514_010122599~2.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240514_010130353.jpg
    PXL_20240514_010130353.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 6
Is vet care an option?

Likely the bone needs to be removed at the joint in order for her to heal properly.
I'm not sure if he'd take her in or not, but it looks like it did break off at the small wing joint, just not the one inside the skin. 🤦‍♀️ Sweet girl is so tough! Thank you for your response. :)

I'd worry about infection, does he have an antibiotic on hand?

Usually having bone exposed it not a good idea, infection can set in.
I have an antibiotic I can give him, thank you! It always seems like chickens are studs when it comes to skin infections. I keep thinking she's going to get a staph infection with exposed bone like that but I feel like it works differently in birds since it's been about a month now with little sign of an issue. I will definitely let him know though. Thank you! :)

Back
Top Bottom