New to hatching, what do I have?

Apr 10, 2024
Hi all. Hope someone can help me identify my new chics and which hens they came from. I have one RIR rooster (the only rooster). I collected eggs to hatch from black Australorp, barred rock, black prairie bluebells (light blue egg layers), and ISA browns. Had a decent hatch for my first time, 7 out of 9 and I think I determined too much moisture in my incubator cause the two started to hatch, pipped and started to crack eggs then died. My results are two black chic with only white on their chests, one black with large white spot on its head (I'm assuming a barred rooster), 3 red chics, and one yellow (assuming will be white). I can pretty much tell what the black with white spot on its head came from (RIR and BR cross). The red chics from the RIR and ISA browns, But not sure about the yellow (white) chic or whether the mostly black with white on the chest are from my bluebells or australorp hens. Any ideas would be helpful. I'm much better at sexing that determining breeding. I didn't watch all hatchings or I would have a better idea of the black chics and the yellow chic. I suspect, though not sure, the yellow chic came from one of the blue eggs. I had 2 blue eggs in the bator so Maybe one black chic from the other blue egg and the other from the australorp egg (as one with the dark brown shell did hatch.

Back
Top Bottom