My Gosling is panting. Should I be concerned?

CharmingChickens

🦜🦃🐓🦢🦆Started with chickens now has an army 🦆🦢🐓🦃🦜
Apr 30, 2023
Maine
I was sitting with my two and a half week old buff gosling, and I noticed she was panting. She is the first gosling I've ever raised. I don't know if i should be concerned or not. Please share your advice!:fl

What is the weather like where you are and has she been showing any other signs of illness?
I don't think she has shown any other signs of illness. the weather is pretty cool around 54 degrees. But she does live indoors as of now. Maybe shes just hot?

She also does this thing where she "Bites" at the air? like how do I explain it? shes reaching out at the air as if there is food and biting. I would post a video of it if i could. Like she is constantly doing it as I write this. is that normal? It probably is. but I just want to make sure!

She also does this thing where she "Bites" at the air? like how do I explain it? shes reaching out at the air as if there is food and biting. I would post a video of it if i could. Like she is constantly doing it as I write this. is that normal? It probably is. but I just want to make sure!
How does her poop look? And she's been eating and drinking fine right? The only thing I can think is either (1). She's too hot or (2). She has Aspergilliosis.

Make sure that she has a nice cool area to go to in your house. If you think that she may be too hot you could set up a fan near her area.

How does her poop look? And she's been eating and drinking fine right? The only thing I can think is either (1). She's too hot or (2). She has Aspergilliosis.

Make sure that she has a nice cool area to go to in your house. If you think that she may be too hot you could set up a fan near her area.
The air biting seems odd. As AidKD said make sure she has cool area to get to if she’s hot and access to water to be able to dunk her head/nares.
@Goosebaby any thought on this?

Goslings go through some extreme metabolic changes while growing, sometimes they can be chilled and a moment later they can be overheating, so the panting isn’t necessarily unusual unless she’s doing it all the time.

It’s hard to say what the air biting is without seeing it but it could be her gulping and swallowing from excess salivation caused by overheating.

On a darker note asper can cause similar symptoms, though usually you’ll notice some strange voice changes, keep in mind your gosling will start experiencing some natural voice changes anyway in the next few weeks to months so when you do hear it, there’s a good chance it isn’t asper.

Intestinal infections can also cause similar symptoms. If the intestines are inflamed from coccidia, Giardia, clostridium, salmonell, e.coli, among other things the intestine can push on the rear airsacks causing shortness of breath and repeated swallowing, some infections like e.coli can also infect the airsacks.
Airsacculitis is another cause.

With all of the infections causes you’ll usually see accompanying symptoms like diarrhe, depression, lethargy, coughing, sneezing, and others though.

Goslings go through some extreme metabolic changes while growing, sometimes they can be chilled and a moment later they can be overheating, so the panting isn’t necessarily unusual unless she’s doing it all the time.

It’s hard to say what the air biting is without seeing it but it could be her gulping and swallowing from excess salivation caused by overheating.

On a darker note asper can cause similar symptoms, though usually you’ll notice some strange voice changes, keep in mind your gosling will start experiencing some natural voice changes anyway in the next few weeks to months so when you do hear it, there’s a good chance it isn’t asper.

Intestinal infections can also cause similar symptoms. If the intestines are inflamed from coccidia, Giardia, clostridium, salmonell, e.coli, among other things the intestine can push on the rear airsacks causing shortness of breath and repeated swallowing, some infections like e.coli can also infect the airsacks.
Airsacculitis is another cause.

With all of the infections causes you’ll usually see accompanying symptoms like diarrhe, depression, lethargy, coughing, sneezing, and others though.
Goosebaby-is this a wait and see how he does to eliminate symptoms and possibly treat ourselves or a vet visit?

Back
Top Bottom