Pics
For those using solar power to charge their doors, what is the wattage size of the panels you are using? I'm currently using 1.8W and seeing that I may need to change to a bigger unit to meet the demands.

Look closely at the relay to see what the current draw is or use a multi meter with a current setting to find out the current draw of the system. Then you will know how much watts you need. If the solar cell is not in the optimum position that can cause low power.

JT

20190828_231017.jpg
20190828_231027.jpg
Finally got around to putting the auto door together. Everything is working properly first go. The 12 volt adapter I purchased blew when I plugged it in for testing before I hooked it up, lol. I went to the trouble of buying what I thought was a nice one, but hissing and popping right away, :(. At least it wasn't hooked to the works yet. Fortunately, I had another 4 amp, 12 volt adapter laying around. The paperwork on the actuator says it pulls 3 amps. I'll get it installed tomorrow and post pics. Thanks mucho, @Tsheaby.

I have to ask, where this is going to be placed is off grid, so is the third item (Chanzon 12V 5A 60W AC DC Power Supply Adapter) really necessary?

It depends on what power system you’re going with. If off grid, can I assume you’re going solar? If that’s the case then you would want the solar panel / battery setup instead. The DC Power supply is for the other method, plug in / running power to the coop.

Hi there, this is awesome. Is there a way to set it up to use a light sensor instead of a timer? I worry about forgetting to change the timer and having this thing close before my hens get inside.

Thanks!

I haven’t tried a light sensor myself, but I’m sure you could play with one to try it out!

I typically only have to adjust it a couple times a year & usually just do it on/around day light savings. Winter months I think I have it set to open around 7:45/8:00am and close at 7:00/7:30pm. Spring/Summer I have it opening at 6:15am and closing at 9:15pm.

There’s that awkward period in the spring when transitioning to the sun going down later that I will bump it back to closing at 8:30pm just to make sure they all get in.

In a nutshell... I check on it quarterly and adjust as necessary with the daylight, setting it to close 30-45 min past when I KNOW they will be in the coop for bedtime. Haven’t had a problem locking one out, yet! :)

Hi there, this is awesome. Is there a way to set it up to use a light sensor instead of a timer? I worry about forgetting to change the timer and having this thing close before my hens get inside.

I tried a photocell on mine and the first thunderstorm that came up had my chickens locked out in the rain... then there is the issue of trying to get a photocell to close at dusk and not before. On an overcast day the door will close too early.

JT

I tried a photocell on mine and the first thunderstorm that came up had my chickens locked out in the rain... then there is the issue of trying to get a photocell to close at dusk and not before. On an overcast day the door will close too early.

JT

That’s a great point! Thanks for adding that in there JT, you’ve been the real MVP for helping answer questions! I appreciate you! :)

Look closely at the relay to see what the current draw is or use a multi meter with a current setting to find out the current draw of the system. Then you will know how much watts you need. If the solar cell is not in the optimum position that can cause low power.

JT
My actuator - says Rated Current: 3Amp - is that the draw? I have a 3 Watt solar panel and on multiple cloudy days it doesn't charge the battery? Since the actuator runs 2x a day do I need a 6 watt panel? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom