That’s exactly why I wanted to try and make my own! Every tutorial, or video I watched on other DIY ones just looked way too much as you mentioned.

Funny story... I had all almost all the parts and was putting it all together, and while testing it out is when I realized I needed the DPDT relay. I went to an electrical supply store in town because they were the only one with a DPDT in stock, and when I explained what I was doing I was told by 3 employees there that it wouldn’t work and left empty handed. I was not happy - it felt a little discriminatory, since I was just a random woman coming in there asking for a part that I couldn’t explain using the correct terminology, etc. - that’s a story for another time. Bottom line, I went home and ordered the DPDT relay and boom! Makes a complicated or expensive project into an affordable 5 part door.

I’m sure they are out there, but I couldn’t find any with the 12” stroke online other than Walmart that was within my price goal. Some have mentioned they found one on Amazon, but the ones I found there were a lot pricier.

I didn’t think about eBay! Sounds like a great find!! If I make anymore, I’ll certainly remember to check there too.

Good luck on making yours, let me know if you have any questions!

Well, you showed them! I'm still waiting on my timer and cover from China, then I'll get started. With your excellent diagrams, I doubt I'll have any issues. I got a nos GE power supply with a heavy 3 prong power cord off Ebay, and my actuator already, so it won't be long now. I'll post some pics when I'm done. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
Just ordered all of the parts! Now to build the coop! (Meeting with my contractor tomorrow morning and chicks don't arrive til the third week of May!)

Awesome!! Congrats on the new babies, you’ll love them!

Well, you showed them! I'm still waiting on my timer and cover from China, then I'll get started. With your excellent diagrams, I doubt I'll have any issues. I got a nos GE power supply with a heavy 3 prong power cord off Ebay, and my actuator already, so it won't be long now. I'll post some pics when I'm done. Thanks a bunch!

Hooray! Waiting for parts is so hard, seems like it will take forever! I’m excited to see pictures, have fun!!

Following Tsheaby's DIY automatic door set up, I put my own together today. The power source is a solar system I built earlier to power the water pump for my duck pond. The framework for my chicken coop consists of pallets so I had to add the hardware to the exterior wall above the door. I plan to add a cover over the actuator so when the door is open, the actuator and door will be under the cover and not visible. I tested the door to ensure it opens and closes properly. I'll be watching to make sure the door closes tonight and opens again tomorrow morning based on my timer settings but I'm confident it will work as planned. Thank you so much Tsheaby. I really liked the DIY assembly and your wiring diagram and parts list made it so easy.
86-o5NbJJY_aedbskPZ8eZhqTos7OWj3KW5k1xKaZzK4hb_fD2HsuIAUB7YIRpqTkiaSoo9UxAcVocNZBqfbgIqXwuyxYLhhyFRtq2obop3fFZpQLguASzsT1wtj5AkQWdz9s8p0OxUp0xgDQzBSknfT3tHcMJKmuaugAIjImVAJ1lze5rDTfQpncgqea_8sEi5AMt1cbEGKzU44tSA8byG61W1Pyz2jXCK4zmHYVx1TvCC-WQtq_nM5AgKijp5zn0patBYJEZU1jRBA3NLtRoNk-8CwyIoBDQMBMb0ZdtokG29C_q0GVQFNtViQ4cBWwCAg1MLA0Jes9eYyCVTy72ORlFP272qmvyK69DY3dQem-T6w-lOsM8temfK7t7adekuziGeoaNktluBidqeJaAoJs0vX6Zo_N79gH5KA-KZahNxuLTGqUcJnoWXuHAvDA5xSDtuZyWmjTXjrquEOuCCb-MFnEyYxJKyk1p49acyhha8BxCFtuebuWkimvBOT6-zM3B6gci78LV4pgXJX8duRYvvvmZoKsjO5f-kJhCyF0OG4SPlPtUlg_XpZcdrNP1x3-vsl4aPkLLwX_aHj7WQ67xG8OGCSANlYxVpZO7f0IuWoqdhQn4xYEH7E6V-JJWnM0zrQ3usVnFa72_zDVXEDY3Qv-L5F=w1178-h883-no

Following Tsheaby's DIY automatic door set up, I put my own together today. The power source is a solar system I built earlier to power the water pump for my duck pond. The framework for my chicken coop consists of pallets so I had to add the hardware to the exterior wall above the door. I plan to add a cover over the actuator so when the door is open, the actuator and door will be under the cover and not visible. I tested the door to ensure it opens and closes properly. I'll be watching to make sure the door closes tonight and opens again tomorrow morning based on my timer settings but I'm confident it will work as planned. Thank you so much Tsheaby. I really liked the DIY assembly and your wiring diagram and parts list made it so easy.
86-o5NbJJY_aedbskPZ8eZhqTos7OWj3KW5k1xKaZzK4hb_fD2HsuIAUB7YIRpqTkiaSoo9UxAcVocNZBqfbgIqXwuyxYLhhyFRtq2obop3fFZpQLguASzsT1wtj5AkQWdz9s8p0OxUp0xgDQzBSknfT3tHcMJKmuaugAIjImVAJ1lze5rDTfQpncgqea_8sEi5AMt1cbEGKzU44tSA8byG61W1Pyz2jXCK4zmHYVx1TvCC-WQtq_nM5AgKijp5zn0patBYJEZU1jRBA3NLtRoNk-8CwyIoBDQMBMb0ZdtokG29C_q0GVQFNtViQ4cBWwCAg1MLA0Jes9eYyCVTy72ORlFP272qmvyK69DY3dQem-T6w-lOsM8temfK7t7adekuziGeoaNktluBidqeJaAoJs0vX6Zo_N79gH5KA-KZahNxuLTGqUcJnoWXuHAvDA5xSDtuZyWmjTXjrquEOuCCb-MFnEyYxJKyk1p49acyhha8BxCFtuebuWkimvBOT6-zM3B6gci78LV4pgXJX8duRYvvvmZoKsjO5f-kJhCyF0OG4SPlPtUlg_XpZcdrNP1x3-vsl4aPkLLwX_aHj7WQ67xG8OGCSANlYxVpZO7f0IuWoqdhQn4xYEH7E6V-JJWnM0zrQ3usVnFa72_zDVXEDY3Qv-L5F=w1178-h883-no

Thank you so much for sharing! I’m so glad you found the diagrams helpful and easy to follow! - It looks great!!

That is so cool! I would never have the patience or smart to do that! Looks great!

Actually, it was very easy to do. Tsheaby did all the work. Following the wiring diagram made it a fast and simple project. I was very happy watching as the door closed last night and opened this morning as scheduled. Testing is complete and no more need to set the alarm.

Back
Top Bottom