My Chicken's Face turns from Red to Pale to Red Again

afangel2005

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2016
Panama City, FL
Hello All!!

My chickens are currently 14 1/2 weeks old, and I've been noticing that my Buff Orpington and Silver Laced Wyandotte's faces turn from red to pale, or pale to red, and it happens within minutes. It is hot here in Florida, but they have plenty of shade and water.

Is this anything to be worried about? They seem to be very happy and healthy chickens.

These pictures were taken within minutes of each other. There is a much bigger difference than what's shown in these pictures, that show better when the pictures are larger (or in person):

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think it's pretty normal. They use their combs and wattles for cooling and the blood courses through there. With them being 14 weeks they are spinning up to lay so you will see them red much more often.

In an adult bird if they suddenly become pale and stay pale and the chicken becomes lethargic. That can signal an illness.

I think what you are seeing is a normal fluxuation. Good catch on the pics! Clear face pics are hard to get.

No, it's definitely their faces. I sit out with them and watch their faces turn colors before my eyes. And the color difference is much stronger in person versus on the camera.

It seems to be when they are running around or go "on alert", their faces turn more red, and when they are relaxing, their faces are more pale.

Thanks for the comment! I edited my original post, didn't do a good job proofreading...; }

Last edited:
It's the same thing as blushing. Happens when they get excited or ?? as you noticed.

I see it all the time but then my chickens are mostly naked necks, the blushing is much more apparent on them. In fact like you, many first time naked neck owners become concerned the first time they notice it haha.

Nothing to worry about... also when the girls are mature and start laying eggs, usually you don;t see their blushes so easily.. their skin gets thicker and the face mostly stays a similar shade of red while laying.

Thank you Puddin Fluff! I'm a first time chicken owner, so just trying to be very cautious! ((I've been checking them for bumblefoot EVERYDAY!!))

Here's all the ladies (still crossing fingers that's the case):

Pretty group. My guess is you will be getting eggs early (possibly) from those that are red faced. Are they squatting for you yet? That is another indication that they are close to lay, although not all birds will squat for humans, if their is no roo present, and you interact with them a lot, they are more likely to.

Mine do it all the time. Don't get worried unless they stay pale or the color becomes blue. I don't know if the chickens are having hormonal flushes, or maybe stress or fear related. Now if the chicken is standing with feathers puffed out and is pale then you need to get worried.

Back
Top Bottom