Muscovy duckling suddenly unable to walk PLEASE HELP

heavena

Hatching
May 11, 2024
Hello all,
over a month ago we adopted 5 muscovy ducklings. They are pets each loved dearly and all have their own but very lively personalities. About 5 hours ago one of my younger girls suddenly was a little floppy, like she couldn't stand but was still quacking and would move out of my grasp when inspecting her so I figured she was just tired. I've just gotten into bed noticed now not only her but her hatch mate is also in the same state but they have both gone completely lethargic, laying with their head to the side, unable to stand or hold their heads up long, won't eat or drink and are breathing noticeably deeply. Our others are fine and in good spirits as usual but I have no idea what happened. Just like every morning I wake up to say good morning and get little bum wiggles and a snuggle and nothing seemed out of the ordinary so I am so confused and scared

Hello all,
over a month ago we adopted 5 muscovy ducklings. They are pets each loved dearly and all have their own but very lively personalities. About 5 hours ago one of my younger girls suddenly was a little floppy, like she couldn't stand but was still quacking and would move out of my grasp when inspecting her so I figured she was just tired. I've just gotten into bed noticed now not only her but her hatch mate is also in the same state but they have both gone completely lethargic, laying with their head to the side, unable to stand or hold their heads up long, won't eat or drink and are breathing noticeably deeply. Our others are fine and in good spirits as usual but I have no idea what happened. Just like every morning I wake up to say good morning and get little bum wiggles and a snuggle and nothing seemed out of the ordinary so I am so confused and scared
hey hun, i’m sorry to say but this sounds exactly like bird flu, a deadly disease common in wild birds. bird flu is extremely contagious within the ducks, and it will kill the flock if you’re not careful. I would separate them from the rest and start disinfecting EVERYTHING, even if the others have passed, they can still transmit the disease through the soil and decomp. best way of disposal is to call your local wildlife service and ask for a disposal service. symptoms to look out for include bloody noses, head thrashing, crusted shut eyes, the inability to walk, eat, drink, and heavy breathing. the silver lining is that they aren’t aware of what’s happening, the disease causes neurological issues as well. i’m so sorry you have to go through this hun, i wish there was more to do to help

Back
Top Bottom