Lethargic stumbling rooster PLEASE Help!!

Pics

chickgoals

In the Brooder
May 10, 2021
My rooster is wobbling, tries to walk but stumbles, laid down with his feet in awkward position - mostly under but not Al the way and his wattle is dark purple on top and when he was laying down he just started closing his eyes. I thought he was dying- maybe is 😢 I went in to get some warm water and put corid in it and feed and dried fly worms in it and he had moved to a different spot but was laying again. He did eat some. He is already isolated as far as no birds can get to him and he can’t get out. I closed off his chunnel so he can’t go more than in his coop area and and 8’x 3’ area. I did see him poo- looked small but normal, but could have already had a bigger first poo before I came out so maybe that’s why it was small.
What can I do?
We also have these teeny tiny speck of a bug things in the coop? Could this be a problem or his problem?
Please help!!

Attachments

• 96BD8744-00F7-4821-BBE0-76EF2040883F.jpeg
    96BD8744-00F7-4821-BBE0-76EF2040883F.jpeg
    639.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 45DECA60-A192-4178-9D7C-D5C364DC9B82.jpeg
    45DECA60-A192-4178-9D7C-D5C364DC9B82.jpeg
    814.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 3236F739-CFB3-4B99-AABF-27D14DEF91EE.jpeg
    3236F739-CFB3-4B99-AABF-27D14DEF91EE.jpeg
    768.2 KB · Views: 9
My rooster is wobbling, tries to walk but stumbles, laid down with his feet in awkward position - mostly under but not Al the way and his wattle is dark purple on top and when he was laying down he just started closing his eyes. I thought he was dying- maybe is 😢 I went in to get some warm water and put corid in it and feed and dried fly worms in it and he had moved to a different spot but was laying again. He did eat some. He is already isolated as far as no birds can get to him and he can’t get out. I closed off his chunnel so he can’t go more than in his coop area and and 8’x 3’ area. I did see him poo- looked small but normal, but could have already had a bigger first poo before I came out so maybe that’s why it was small.
What can I do?
We also have these teeny tiny speck of a bug things in the coop? Could this be a problem or his problem?
Please help!!
What's his normal diet?

What's the weather? Comb looks like frostbite but could be a 'tell' of lack of oxygen.
The bugs? Can you get a pic?
Is your boy still roosting? Sleeping on floor or in a nest box?
Hope others can add more insight for you and your roo..

What can I do?
Please help!!
I'm concerned by the bugs - if it's mites they can cause anemia, lethargy, etc and make your birds very ill.

Does he roost with the other birds? Or is he kept separate?

Please do post some pics of the mites. Someone else already tagged the chicken gurus I was going to tag.

Last edited:
I would get him drinking fluids, and if you have Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes that is good. Offer some ground beef live in case of anemia. Do you see evidence of mites or lice on his body? Look him over at night with a flashlight in case of Pouktry roost mites. If you see lice or mites on his body, get some Permethrin spray at the feed store, and spray his body. Permethrin garden dust would be better if it is cold there. Could his comb have been frostbitten during freezing weather?

Combs can become dark on the tips and toward the rear when they are cold or upset. Frostbite is more likely if the temps have been in the teens or 20’s, or lower.

I would get him drinking fluids, and if you have Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes that is good. Offer some ground beef live in case of anemia. Do you see evidence of mites or lice on his body? Look him over at night with a flashlight in case of Pouktry roost mites. If you see lice or mites on his body, get some Permethrin spray at the feed store, and spray his body. Permethrin garden dust would be better if it is cold there. Could his comb have been frostbitten during freezing weather?
I have not seen lice or mites, but I’ll check tonight. The weather hasn’t been very cold. A few days ago it got to 28 at night. I will do all of the suggestions you mentioned. Thank you!

It's not frostbite, my roos norm have a purplish comb sometimes...
Is he eating enough? Check his spleen, is it sharp?
Check his feet, if he's hut or in pain, they will close they're eyes for moments at a time. Check his crop too for anything unusual.

Take care of the mites! Fastest way to do it is just give him a warm bath, and B careful not to get his eyes or beak or notrils.
Start at the head around his face and the neck and than his entire body , you need to be sure you got nearly all the mites... Than dry him throughly, I use a hair dryer, while offering him something nutritional with added eltrolyes in his water, and dust him after the he's dry, carful not to get the place too dusty.
You also might keep him inside, to keep a better eye on him a and he won't get reinfected with mites, do give him access to a good mash, and while you could hand feed him bird formula when you can.

Keep posting and we'll try to help with any questions!
And btw, he's a gorgeous roo!

Back
Top Bottom