Khaki Campbells and Muscovies

TurnipGreens

In the Brooder
May 14, 2024
North Alabama
Howdy y'all! On advice from a commenter from this thread, I am breaking my question up and addressing the questions about the breeds in their respective forums rather in the original conglomerate.

The duck breeds I am looking at are, as noted in the thread name:
1. Khaki Campbell
2. Muscovy

The ideal bird for me would be: hardy in both North Alabama hot summers and milder (but still cold) winters, excellent brooders and mothers, excellent foragers and predator-evaders, disease resistant, quiet, high layers (including throughout the year, cold and heat), trustworthy to return to the coop nightly and lay eggs in nesting boxes, not prone to wandering too far, not dumb, amiable to other flock members, amiable to me, a breed whose males defend their females well, a good source of meat and fat (for cooking), easily culled and processed by hand by one person, not prone to destroying gardens or vehicles, not prone to pooping on houses and such, and able to keep pest levels down.

Now, as noted in the original thread, some of these are essential for all birds to have to be included in the flock, but many are either preferable but not required or required only for a few breeds out of the flock to have. If you're interested in seeing which is which you can go to the original thread, but it isn't actually necessary information for this thread. Just tell me which of these criteria whichever breed(s) you have experience with passes or fails, along with any other notes, and I'll evaluate accordingly :)

The current thought process in my mind for these two is to use them in conjunction: Khaki Campbells for eggs (and sometimes meat) and Muscovies to hatch and raise Khaki Campbell eggs/chicks (and also meat).

Muscovy fit many of your requirements but few if any ducks lay through the winter, and, need those cold months to recover their nutritional best health. Unlike chickens, no ducks can be trusted to take themselves to bed in the evening.

Muscovy are quiet! They are good layers and muscovy females are assiduous mothers. I believe they are good meat birds (the drakes are chunky) but I dont eat duck.

I have muscovy in Florida where they do well. Last year, I took them to Northen Virginia for the year where they adapted without any problems going from a cold Florida January to a frozen Virginia January as if that were completely normal

My muscovy forage and eat weeds and bugs. They also eat my lily leaves and ginger leaves -- they seem to get pleasure from pulling along a long leaf separating edible green from fibers. I have to fence off my veggies as they are partial to veggies of all kinds. Domestic muscovy have little to no useful flight after their first year and so don't need their wings clipping but they are vulnerable to predation and need secure accommodation at night and safe places to forage during the day. Mine are in a fully fenced rear yard with lots of shrubbery to hide in. They are mostly shielded by low trees and shrubs from hawks, which are a significant predator for ducks. I rely on foxes, raccoons, coyotes and bobcats staying away from my suburban yard during the day and make sure my ducks are safely in their coop well before dusk

Last edited:
i think you answered your own question.. muscovy is what you want. theyre everything you pretty much described. khakis are loud and they dig up the lawn. and not the greatest meat birds. khakis are one of my favs but they dont fit your wants

Back
Top Bottom