Interesting prolapse vent result

TerryW

Chirping
16 Years
Apr 17, 2008
So about 5 or 6 days ago one of our black Spanish Andalusian hens was acting off, we found she had a prolapsed vent. Came here and started reading posts. I tried everything associated with pushing it back in while she just pushed it back out. None of the other chickens could see her situation well hidden up under her tail so no one was bothering her so I didn't isolate her. Next day twice as much had been pushed out and she walked around pushing occasionally. I didn't have much hope for her at this point after the things I'd read. I picked up calcium citrate with D3 (Walmart) as suggested in these forums and have given her one a day while using a spray bottle on mist with water and a little epsom salt to clean off her hind end, eventually I clipped off some lower feathers to help keep the area clean. It seems she started improving daily with the calcium citrate. I never tried pushing it back in again. 3rd day she ate food with her hen mates, improving each day. I'd say today is about day 6 and she's acting totally normal, running around with the girls, getting under foot for treats (dried insects, scrambled eggs, romaine lettuce, crunched up egg shells, today they had some turkey), and I lifted up her tail to see how it was doing and it's gone, it's all gone back in, her vent area is looking normal and she's acting normal. I was pretty surprised, and happy, to see that today.

Just wanted to share this for others who think there's no hope, sometimes time and support is all anything needs to heal. I picked up a paralyzed wild rabbit off the street once, put it in a large cage - laying on its side - provided food and water it could easily reach, and it slowly healed completely, first the front end then the back end, and I released it in my yard where dozens of other rabbits live. I've seen them with a broken leg (not just one rabbit but a few over the years) hopping around with the leg dangling uselessly and see it heal and become normal again. That's why I thought the paralyzed rabbit deserved a chance.

Anyway, just wanted to share my prolapsed vent experience.

Great to hear :thumbsup I love a happy ending. You honestly never really know how things will turn out.

I’ve had such good luck using calcium plus D3 for one of my chickens who lays soft eggs once in a while and has wound up egg bound. I truly think it saved her life one day when she had two eggs stuck. It’s a must for everyone’s chicken first aid kit!

Back
Top Bottom