How to Vent Sex Coturnix

Oh boy, I hope you're right! I need another female. Not sure which of the two males I'm going to keep yet. All three of the other quail got wickedly scalped about 4 days ago, so "Tarzan" and "Jack the Ripper" are now in luxurious but separate accomadations until I can figure out which was the perpetrator. The mystery quail was actually the one that got it the worst, head completely bald and bloody. Fortunately, all three are healing and re-growing their feathers.

Quote:
*grabs head* OUCHIE!! even more so i bet that the tibe is a hen then. Sounds like she wasnt willing to breed and one or both the roos ganged up on her trying ot get her to lay down lol.... had that happen here not too long ago
th.gif

Since my two known hens are healed now, I tried "Tarzan" back in their cage today. I'm noticing that the hens will only squat down for him occasionally. Otherwise they run around the cage with Tarzan hanging on for dear life with their back head feathers! No wonder they were bald and bloody before. And even when my hens will actually squat, mr. romeo can't seem to get on or stay on. Do I have particularly stupid hens, or is Tarzan just an inept roo? It doesn't look good for the girls, as mr. clumsy is trying to breed with them every 5 minutes and there are only two! My hens are rather freaked out now, also (understandably!). At this rate, I will never get fertile eggs and I'm afraid I might lose my egg layers all together, if this doesn't get any better soon.
sad.png
Any advise anyone?

Quote:
well if you have cage space, put the roo you want to be the sire of whatever hen and watch...if you see a sucessful mating take him out and let her lay her eggs. She can keep that breeding for like 2 weeks. So that's 2 weeks of fertile eggs and the hens not getting terrorized. Least that's what i'd do if i had the room
smile.png
Otherwise only advice is get more hens? LOL!!!

When i've had small breeding flocks in the house and watched them, the roo will walk up to a hen all casually and she'll squat and he'll get on and mount casually like it's nothing. in the begining with the hens when they wer eall younger it wasnt as calm as that lol it was a lot like how you discribed lol!

I have yet to to see mr. clumsy have any success at all, though it's not for lack of trying! Boy, casual is definatly not the way I'd describe what's going on right now. How long are they like this? He was in with them for a week and a half before I had to remove him and his evil twin "Jack the Ripper". If they haven't figured it out by now, I'm not sure they're going to survive the learning curve.
roll.png
I'm afraid someone might end up losing an eye at this rate. How long did your quail take to get from "road rage" to "casual?"

GREAT pics Niki!!! I've searched all over looking for pics like these and could never find them. Still can't figure out what I'm looking at, but now at least I have an idea!!!!!

Quail are not nice to each other. I've had several "Jack the Rippers" and have some with no eyes. I absolutely HATE that they do that to each other; it's usually the males that do it to each other which signals to me that there's too many boys and some have to go. Fortunately they do heal fast.

welcome Cindy
smile.png
key is remember look for a SHINEY (i saids silver...i must still be thinking about silver spangled hamburgs lol) bump
smile.png
that's a boy
smile.png
If you dont see one, chances are its' a girl
big_smile.png

as for how long it takes.... er prob 2 weeks for mine??? I duno tho... they are unpredicable birds with that. Like Cindy said they are pretty mean to eachother... you just gotta work out the kinks which ever way you can before you have some dead birds. they're not all like that tho.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom