How much feed do my pekin ducks need? I took 2 resuces no clue????

SAM1646

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 21, 2010
Washington Twp, Mi
Have taken on 2 pekin drakes that are 4 months old that I took from a rescue. I have not a clue about ducks so any advice would be great. How much do they eat per day. I give them flock raiser right now and wheat as a treat so they come to me.. Is a cement mixer container large enough for them to have enough water? I have a extra dog house that I plan to use for the winter, with straw, but they do not want anything to do with it? I let them free range all day and have not locked them up at night since I live in a sub any dont worry to much about them since they hide in the trees all day, plus when I had them in the coop with my silkies they tried to drown one of them.

1/3 of a pound per duck per day should be right. Keep an eye on them if they free range. Reduce the food the moment you see a keel developing between their legs. That means they are getting to much. I usually give mine a bowl in the morning and that one is gone by noon. They are free ranging all day, and then get the same at night in their duck house. That is also gone in the morning. I make sure that is no extra food laying around or it may attract rodents.

Mine have their food and water inside of their duck house at night. They go in all by themselves when it gets dark and all I have to do is close the door. It is good to have a secure duck house for the night to protect them from predators. A small shed may be all that is needed. Some even use dog houses. My 9 ducks have a 10x10" duck house. Plenty of room for beds/nesting boxes, food and water, and still space to move around. I good space is 1 - 1.5 sqft per duck. A little bit more gives space for food and water setup to cut down on their mess. Covering the floor with sanded (so they wont slip) left over vinyl flooring makes clean up easier. Home Depot sells left overs really cheap. I was able to get a 8x8 foot section for 20 bucks. In your case I would shoot for a small shed, because you can store their bedding and food in it as well. They don't need all of the space, but it is good to be able to store their stuff in there too. Just build a half wall and you only need to clean half of the room.

Mine are housed in our barn that I have rearranged just for the birds
big_smile.png
So mine have too much space- but that is ok... I lock mine up each night.

I haven't heard of a keel either, but definately want to know now too. I feed 8 ducks approximately 4 cups of Purina Duck (the raiser/grower kind) once in the morning and another 4 at night after "lock up". They free range all day. Mine seem very healthy and though interested in the food when I give it to them, never attack the bowl. Good Luck with your new ducks.

It's a fat roll between their legs going lengthwise with the body. We just recently had a discussion about it and there was a picture.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4797290
Be aware that some breeds are raised to have it. Most wont and should not have it. Once a duck has a keel it will not go away. There will always be the skin flap hanging, even if the duck looses the extra fat in it.

Back
Top Bottom