How do you store your feed/scratch?

We had a metal can that simply fell apart after a few years of use. The handle came off, and on the body where a seam was welded it started separating. It came from TSC. We couldn't remember what the brand sticker was so we were leery of shelling out for another pricey hunk of scrap.
It was also physically challenging for my mother with back problems to bend over to scoop feed when she was on chicken duty.
So now we just use XL plastic totes with snap on lids, sitting up on a bench. Easy for my mom to get at, and no moisture problems so we can just dump the feed straight in and scoop easily.
We have had rodents chew into them before, but it takes time so you can see it starting. The tubs are cheap enough to just replace, and we changed the location slightly each time.
At our new place we haven't seen any damage :)

I agree with others on metal cans but probably good to leave feed in bag in metal can, not just dumping it in. Depending on your weather or where you store can, Metal sweats and can cause mold to grow from the dampness from sweating. I just line my cans with plastic bag and or leave feed in waterproof bag it comes in.
All this - really depends on your climate and storage conditions whether putting it straight into the can or leaving it in the original bag is best.

I have 3 metal cans for feed. The 2 inside the insulated garage stay bone dry so no issues there. The 1 outside is kept under a little roof cover and even with our rain we don't have issues with moisture intrusion or condensation so it works for us to store the feeder overnight in there, however in more hot and humid areas that would definitely be a mold factory in the making.

Back
Top Bottom