Help! My chickens were attacked by dogs

So sorry for your losses, try giving her some electrolytes , to help as she was severely traumatized besides getting injured in the attack, I would try soft scrambled eggs ,treats anything to get her to eat as long as she's drinking and you can get her to eat a little she will get back to normal faster. Treating would would be saline or Betadine or Hybaclens 2 times a day and Personally I would still use the either Neopsorin or triple antibiotic cream to not only help keep germs off but keep it moist to heal.

As long as your outta city limits theres not problem defending your flock and property, Growing up on the farm I knew by 5 years old if the dog got away and went after someones ones animals it was gonna be shot. wished the one neighbor was better at shooting though couldn't hit a moving target for a clean kill if it was to save his life.

Update: my injured hen (Arlene) is still with us. She is eating and drinking well and is still a little in shock, but it still laying (which I guess is a good sign!) Thanks to all of you wonderful people, she’s being treated with chlorhexidene spray and Neosporin twice a day. She’s eating scrambled eggs and catfood and drinking electrolyte enhanced water. Her spirits seem ok considering and she’s never really been a cuddler, but is enjoying the attention I think.

Again, thanks so much to all who offered advice and kind words. This community is so amazing. I’ll continue to update everyone as we progress.

Update: my injured hen (Arlene) is still with us. She is eating and drinking well and is still a little in shock, but it still laying (which I guess is a good sign!) Thanks to all of you wonderful people, she’s being treated with chlorhexidene spray and Neosporin twice a day. She’s eating scrambled eggs and catfood and drinking electrolyte enhanced water. Her spirits seem ok considering and she’s never really been a cuddler, but is enjoying the attention I think.

Again, thanks so much to all who offered advice and kind words. This community is so amazing. I’ll continue to update everyone as we progress.

This is such good news! Go Arlene!

Update: Arlene is still doing well. I think we are past the worst part. I ordered a chicken saddle/apron and it covers the wound area perfectly. I released her back with her flock and the apron prevents pecking. She’s still not 100%, but I believe she’s going to be alright. Her feathers are already growing back in some places and she’s got enough energy to run from me when she sees me coming with the Neosporin.

Back
Top Bottom