Help! I have sick female Pekin duck can't stand is weak and won't eat

Kathy warner

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2021
My ducks was in August and just started laying eggs. I noticed 2 days ago it was acting like it might have something in her throat but couldn't see or feel anything. Shortly after she wouldn't walk was weak but she still drinking water and is still pooping but looks kinda green but she's not eating that I can tell. She had labor breathing when I held her tonight. I called a vet and it is going to be a 10 hour wait at least. She did get into my fish pond about a week ago. It did have alot of green algea in it. My other male duck seems ok and is acting normal. I did recently switch from crumble food to pellet food. The sales person at the feed store said it would be ok. Please help

When I thought she may have something stuck in her throat when this first started she would hold her mouth open in the water and shake her head but she has stopped that. She payed an egg last night. I don't know if u would call it sneezing but she is breathing heavy her heart is beating really fast.

While you wait for him, you can give the duck vitamin/ electrolytes , Gatorade or Pedialyte to help keep her hydrated. You can drop it into her beak. If you can, I would bring her inside where you can keep her warm. If she is not eating much, I would weigh her and keep an eye on it during the next few days.

From my limited observations, it sounds like her respiratory system was first to be comprised in some fashion, which is now resulting in exercise intolerance (paralysis), and along with other associated problems such as not being able to eat. The green feces you're seeing is a probable indicator of excessive bile production which increases in an anorexic state. There are too many possibilities, to narrow down just one without diagnostic tests, but aspiration pneumonia, foreign blockage, collapsed lungs, aspergillus, are some of the possibilities the need to be considered.

In consideration that she was allowed access into your goldfish pond, that would raise the concerns of bacterial diseases such as Pasturella, or Botulism, both of which can result in the symptoms you describe.

The immediate goal with a dyspneic duck should be establishing higher oxygen concentrations, by setting them in an oxygen cage; since that's not achievable in most households, it emphasizes the importance of getting her to a vet - if you have other vets in your area, that you haven't called, you should try calling them as well.

I wish there was more that we could do in such as scenario, but unfortunately, there is not - I would move the bird into a dimly lit area and try to achieve a slightly higher temperature by setting a heater, or heating pad near, but taking caution not to overheat her. Mucosal membranes dry out quickly when a bird is breathing at such as rate, so a higher humidity of around 75% is suggested. Adding some electrolytes to her water, or poultry vitamins would be good to help maintain nutritional and hydration status until a vet can be seen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom