Help... 3 eggs left to hatch but one is chirping but not progressing

Rencicc

Hatching
Apr 7, 2024
So I have a Frizzle hen in my back basement who has been sitting on 9 eggs. The first 2 hatched on Friday, 3 yesterday, and 1 more hatched overnight. When I went to bed last night I noticed that one of the remaining eggs had pipped but a very very small hole/crack. This morning when the hen left the nest to feed the 6 chicks, I noticed that the egg had not progressed and the other two remaining there is nothing. Just now when she was off the eggs again I felt them and they are not warm so I decided to quick candle them. Two of the eggs that had no cracks there was nothing, the but the one that did was chirping quite loudly. I don't know what to do.... I put it back and placed mommy back on it, but I'm not sure how long she will continue to sit as the other chicks are quite rambunctious. Also there has been no change in the crack since about 7:30 last night. What should I do!!!! I'm only a year into chickens and I don't want it to die :( Do I continue to wait?

:welcome The problem with staggered hatches is that the hen is genetically programmed to leave the nest within 36 hours after the first chick hatches so that she can lead the chicks to feed. This results in the chilling of remaining eggs. I would try to raise the temperature of the remaining egg and consider an assisted hatch. Do an on site search on assisted hatching for particulars. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom