Feed molding in galvanized trash cans

theacw

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
MN
I noticed today the feed had a smell and I dumped it in a trash bag to be safe and it was very moist/moldy on the bottom. I read around on here to see what you guys use as a container and it seems like everyone else uses the galvanized trash cans as well. Any advice?

I would like to continue to use them so I dont have to spend more money. They have been stored just outside the coop so completely outdoors. If I keep them in a building and line it with a trash bag, would that do the trick? I dont know if a trashbag would make it better or worse...

Last edited:
Hi there,
Personally, I use a large plastic tote box. It is not completely air tight but seems to work better than galvanized for me. I had the same problem as you have. Plastic is not ideal for huge quantities of feed, but a 50lb. bag keeps nicely for several weeks. Sue

Hi there,
Personally, I use a large plastic tote box. It is not completely air tight but seems to work better than galvanized for me. I had the same problem as you have. Plastic is not ideal for huge quantities of feed, but a 50lb. bag keeps nicely for several weeks. Sue

This is what I use also. Works great for me.

We store our food inside. We usually keep the closed bags on plastic pallets, the open ones in plastic garbage cans, but keeping the food in the bag, we don't dump it in. We also found that the metal cans seem to sweat too much when it is humid out and the temperature changes much, even if they are inside.

I store feed in galvanized trash cans, and keep them off the ground ( using 2x4's on top of bricks) to prevent molding. Besides, I use some plastic sheets around handles to prevent water from getting inside trash cans.

Last edited:
i've used galvinized cans for years - and everyone is right, it is important to keep them off the ground (concrete block or wood) , to cover the lid - sometimes they can leak by the lid handle - I just keep a tin bucket upended on them, and to be careful opening the lid after a rain so you don't accidentally drip water inside.

since your moldy food was on the bottom, I would guess it is a bottom leak, which would be solved by keeping the cans off the ground.

If galvanized cans are placed in an area where the sun beats down on them, it increases moisture in the can, creating an environment for mold/bacteria. Best to store cans inside a barn or garage on pallets. I prefer placing feed in cans while still in the bag. The cans stay cleaner for longer periods of time. I don't like to purchase more feed than I can use in a month, and buy feed from suppliers that have a rapid turn around.

Last edited:
I use a waterproof, airtight, food vault designed to store dog food. Once you figure out how to open and shut the blasted things, they're great. Haven't had a problem since going to them. We got ours at Southern States Feed Store but most pet places carry them. A 40 lb. bag of feed fills the large one to the top.

I also use the pet food vaults for several purposes: storing chicken feed, rabbit feed, scratch, and even flour and sugar. They are pricey, but have a water-tight and air-tight seal. For animal feed, I keep the containers outside on a covered porch and have never had any insects or moisture in the feed, nor have any wild critters attempted to get into the containers.

Back
Top Bottom