Faverolles: Bantam or standard?

Wifezilla

Positively Ducky
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
I have been thinking of picking up some chickens eventually...but I don't have a lot of space and whatever I get would have to get along with my ducks. I mainly want egg producers. Is this breed a good choice?

Do the bantams lay as well as the standards?

Are they really friendly?

I think the salmons are great. We raise the bantam salmon faverolles. They are very sweet, early layers and beautiful. They lay a small egg. So if you are wanting a breed of chicken for the eggs, I would say your best bet is the Standard salmons rather than the bantams.
Christie
smile.png

I've had both and they are really good egg layers! Even my bantams I had from Catalupa Farms were super egg layers, laid more than my LF Favs I had.

Either way, you would be happy with them!

Here is a picture of my bantam quad:

SalmonFaverolleBantamnew.jpg

And my Large Fowl:

ChandlerandRachel.jpg

SalmonFaverolleandBirchinMaransHens.jpg

My Faverolle Bantams were smaller than the Large Fowl, but not by much. They both layed quite well, were very sweet and good natured. My bantams never sat, but my Large Fowl girls made great moms.

One of the bantam rooster used to drive me insane. He would hop up on enough stuff to get onto the chicken house and from there launch himself up into the oak that shaded it. Every night without fail. He was always in the pen like a good boy in the morning though. One morning I went out and couldn't find him. I looked everywhere. I just knew something had eaten him. I found him in the Blue-laced Red Wyandotte house on the perch in the darkest corner hiding from my massive BLRW roo.

Blue-lacedRedWyandotteTrio.jpg

I couldn't help but laugh at him. He always made sure to land on his side of the fence after that.

Back
Top Bottom