Duckling can't use feet

Waddles_0032

Hatching
Mar 24, 2019
Hello I took home a 2 day old Khaki Campbell Duckling from tractor supply because I noticed it was lame and no one was helping it. I figured it was niacin deficiency. I've been giving her Brewers yeast and nutri drench for three days now and made her foot braces. She is eating a lot and pooping normal and is much more alert and happy and now can stand and move one leg forward but not completely walk. My question is I noticed her feet are dried up, crinkley and stiff? Has anyone experienced this before? Is it just part of the niacin deficiency healing process? They are not soft and pliable like a normal duckling.

Attachments

• 20190324_163548.jpg
    20190324_163548.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 34
Welcome to BYC. @Miss Lydia is very good with duck help. Where did the duckling come from to TSC? Recently someone got a shipment of chicks, and one had severe frostbite to it’s feet after 2 days in shipping. I had never seen that before. It would be hard to tell with black legs in your duckling though. Perhaps you could carefully apply some coconut oil to the legs, but do not rub or massage in case they would be frostbitten. What state are you in?

you can try, supervised, to let it swim/paddle in some water, just like 2 inches deep, sometimes when they are too weak to stand they can start to build strength in their legs this way

also purchase and use some liquid B complex in addition to the brewer's yeast, if it is a deficiency, this is an extreme case and the brewer's yeast might not be enough

Very hard to see what maybe going on with your duckling since it has black feet, I’d try the coconut oil like @eggessive rec. will the feet lay flat? And I’d also get the liquid B complex from TSC and start your duckling on that instead of Brewers yeast, the BComplex works so much better and faster. 1 ml daily till It’s up and walking good with no problems then you can switch to Brewers yeast or just keep using the BComplex. But your duckling needs all the bs especially the niacin till 10 weeks old.

Attachments

• DE8213FA-1398-4447-8845-012E87C881E3.jpeg
    DE8213FA-1398-4447-8845-012E87C881E3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
Very hard to see what maybe going on with your duckling since it has black feet, I’d try the coconut oil like @eggessive rec. will the feet lay flat? And I’d also get the liquid B complex from TSC and start your duckling on that instead of Brewers yeast, the BComplex works so much better and faster. 1 ml daily till It’s up and walking good with no problems then you can switch to Brewers yeast or just keep using the BComplex. But your duckling needs all the bs especially the niacin till 10 weeks old.[/Q
I'm in Maine and not sure where tractor supply got them. I've tried coconut oil and it doesn't absorb.
Welcome to BYC. @Miss Lydia is very good with duck help. Where did the duckling come from to TSC? Recently someone got a shipment of chicks, and one had severe frostbite to it’s feet after 2 days in shipping. I had never seen that before. It would be hard to tell with black legs in your duckling though. Perhaps you could carefully apply some coconut oil to the legs, but do not rub or massage in case they would be frostbitten. What state are you in?
I've been using coconut oil and it doesn't absorb the feet stay hard. I got them from tractor in Maine but not sure where they got the ducklings. I've been giving her liquid vitamin b. She's made a dramatic change in health after 24 hours of giving her supplements after I got her except her feet are getting worse.

Have you tried anything else besides the coconut oil like triple antibiotic? Can you describe exactly what is going on with her feet can she stand flat footed? If not there are shoes you can make that will help with that

Have you tried anything else besides the coconut oil like triple antibiotic? Can you describe exactly what is going on with her feet can she stand flat footed? If not there are shoes you can make that will help with that
Yes I have. It's like they're dead... very thin and weightless. Yes I made her shoes with a cut credit card and Band-Aids when I got her a couple days ago and it kept them spread. Everything but her feet are getting healthy, they are getting worse.

you can try, supervised, to let it swim/paddle in some water, just like 2 inches deep, sometimes when they are too weak to stand they can start to build strength in their legs this way

also purchase and use some liquid B complex in addition to the brewer's yeast, if it is a deficiency, this is an extreme case and the brewer's yeast might not be enough
I've had her doing water therapy and liquid vitamin b ince I got her and she can move her legs now but not feet for swimming and standing.

Do you think there is a possibility of frostbite? I would call your TSC and ask if any others with dry and leathery feet have been reported. It would be a tragedy if it was that. I really hope it is not.

When we see frostbite in ducks or chickens, the skin becomes dry and brittle, then shrivels, and they may lose toes of the foot depending on the severity. Early on the skin may blister and peel. In the picture below, there is the black leathery skin. Let us know how it is doing.

upload_2019-3-24_17-56-10.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom