Duck with a broken leg.. Help!

Thank you so much, both of you.
The mud is off his leg, as soon as I'd took the picture I bathed his leg like suggested.
I haven't been able to see if there is a cut, he got pretty stressed so I left him to settle down for a while, but I will look as soon as I can.

We can't get any of those creams/ointments in the UK I don't think, at least not over the counter
sad.png

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks to both of you, again!
Epsom salts should be something you can get. might be called Magnesium sulfate. can be used for soaking sore muscles, for sprains and for cleaning out bumble foot. it can also be used as a laxative. very inexpensive too. If you don't have triple antibiotic then look for something to treat wounds but that doesn't have any kind of pain relief with caine on the end of it. Let us know what you find once you examine his leg.

Last edited:
Saline solution, Epsom salt solution, both kill bacteria.

The best thing would be veterinary care, I don't want that idea to get lost here.

In the meantime and if you cannot get a vet . . .

Here is what I would do without access to topical antibiotic or vet.

Get ahold of some St. John's wort, Hypericum perfoliatum, oil of oregano and sage essential oils. Get some good quality olive oil.

Right away, add three drops of the oregano and sage oils to an ounce of olive oil and massage that very gently into the leg and foot after a soak.

By the way, you are not putting Epsom salts in bathwater he can drink, right? It is a laxative. No drinking allowed. If it were botulism, that would be a different story.

Meanwhile, infuse an ounce of St. John's wort, dried, in 8 ounces of oil. This will take a while, I like to let mine sit at least overnight in warmed oil, some just let it sit at room temperature but it takes weeks.

When the oil starts to take on a red tinge, add a few drops of the oil to the mix (with the oregano and sage).

I get some information about this idea from this article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21130859

This is herbal, not precise, and I really feel this little guy needs some painkiller and powerful oral or injectable antibiotic as soon as possible.

Hi all!
Sorry I haven't replied sooner - work and the flock have took up my time.
Okay, so, it turns out it isn't bumblefoot. Here is a picture of the leg now, and I will explain all. (sorry about the picture quality)

We had bathed it previously, tried to get the mud off (that stuff seemed to be welded on
tongue.gif
) to not much avail. One of my parents friends came over and had a look, a chicken farmer, and figured out that the identifying ring that my step-dad puts on most of the fowl had cut into his leg. (How had we not noticed this before????? Feel very stupid and would like to kick myself!!!!) She cut the ring off, much to the ducks disgust, as it must have been quite painful. It had cut right down to the bone, the poor ducky
hit.gif
some of his skin is hanging off, but already the swelling has gone down. We bathed it in salt water, and he is now happily swimming around a small tub. When he is ready to come out, we are sterilising it and bandaging it. It may take a while to oversee his progress, but now we know what's wrong, I'm confident he'll be okay.
My theory: in his usual pen with the rest of his flock, I assume he either fell over and wrenched his leg, or sprained it or something, which caused the leg to swell and the ring to cut into him. My step-dad is inconsolable and is blaming himself, naturally.
Tomorrow we are reviewing the rest of the flock and cutting the rings off to avoid this in the future.

Thank you all SO much for your help. You all give amazing advice and I will let you all know how he gets on.

I'm going to hang my head in shame now - if I'd looked a little closer to begin with I may have noticed this problem.

Well at least you've identified the problem. No sense in beating yourself up over it tho. I'm still seeing an awful lot of mud on the leg in the pic. If that was my duck, I think I'd bring it inside and absolutely continue the Epsom Salt Soaks 4X per day as before, that will aid and assist healing. I would also do vitamins and be on the watch for systemic infection.

His leg has been fulled cleaned and sterilised now. He has a giraffe bandage on his leg, we call it his giraffe sock :p
He's in the porch, in a rabbit hutch, resting. He has liquid vitamins in his water as well.
We will check his leg tomorrow and most certainly continue the ES soaks.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom