Does my coop need to be enclosed? Sorry, *Pic Heavy*

I use 1/2X1/2 hardward cloth on all my openings. Chicken wire makes good dividers in the coop. That's what I'm using it for right now with the nursery in my coop, (18 New little ones) I also use it in the garden to keep chickens, (And others) out of certain sections. And you're welcome.
Jack

Your coop seems very nicely climate-appropriate to me. The sleeping in nestboxes is undoubtedly b/c they are so high compared to the roosts.

I don't think you oughta enclose it with anything solid (if you actually have *problems* in winter, you can certainly do something *then* with plywood if needed, but I kinda doubt that would happen) but you should realize that if you leave it totally open to the World Of Raccoons like that, eventually sooner or later you ARE going to lose chickens at night. (Or to possums). There is nothing there that would even mildly slow 'em down (certainly not the privacy fence). If that's worth it for you to not have to deal with closing them in and letting them out, that's fine; if you would rather protect them at night, that's fine too; it's a personal decision. All I'm saying is, sooner or later (and there is NO way of knowing when) raccoons will find the dark-and-white-meat buffet. And of course once they've had a sample, they tend to keep coming back, even if you then *do* try to erect greater defenses.

Good luck, have fun, nice setup you got there and I bet they are happy chickens,

Pat

If you're fine with potentially losing your flock one night let it be. Personally I think it looks amazing, but it would scare me to death to leave them unprotected like that at night. Once a predator realizes you have an undefended buffett even if you lose birds and replace them they'll keep coming back. I would at least frame it to be screened with hardware cloth and enclosed at night thats my two cents.

No, your coop doesn't need to be enclosed, but as it is you're playing Chicken Russian Roulette. One of these nights your chickens' luck may run out. A chicken is very vulnerable asleep on a roost.

Thanks to everyone for the help. All of the suggestions make perfect sense. I definitely don't want to lose my girls so I will making some adjustments as quick as possible. I will post pics of the updates soon.

Thanks again.
hugs.gif

sorry, didnt read all the responses so if i am repeating what someone else said im sorry ...

anywhooo, your girls are roosting in the nestboxes at night because they are higher up than the perches! if you could lower them and raise your perches above them i think it would eliminate the problem. BTW I like the open air thing. I live in the city and have never ever seen a predator before, so if thats working for you then right on!

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this but you might want to have some kind of "storm plan", so the girls are protected form high winds/rain. Even if it's something you just temporary secure around the coop when a storm is moving in.

Back
Top Bottom