Day olds not leaving brooder plate?

Alex S

Songster
Nov 20, 2020
Kirkland, Washington
So I got my first ever chicks today! But there not leaving from under the brooder plate and are chirping/peeping. Is this normal for day olds? Or is my brooder plate to high? Also I send pictures later in another forum!

If they are not leaving the brooder plate, it may not be warm enough.... they would be looking to escape it if it were too hot. They pant and hold their wings out when too hot. Loud chirping and huddling indicates too cold.... if they are chirping in distress. They may just be vocalizing in their new world.

So I got my first ever chicks today! But there not leaving from under the brooder plate and are chirping/peeping. Is this normal for day olds? Or is my brooder plate to high? Also I send pictures later in another forum!
ahh so happy they came!! did they come from TSC for starters? if so they are most likely very cold and may just need a little bit to warm up.

it is normal for them to be under it - as soon as they leave it they will start cooling down fast.
Leave the food and water close and make sure to check they are going to eat and drink, otherwise show them by dipping their beak into them, once one starts, the others will follow.
They should be under the plate most of the time and eating and drinking the rest of the time.

As to determining if the height is right, I find it a bit tricky without a thermometer myself but if they are huddled then maybe lower it and if they are resting but not huddled it should be just right.
If it were to get too hot they would go to the edge of the plate where it will be slightly cooler

If they are not leaving the brooder plate, it may not be warm enough.... they would be looking to escape it if it were too hot. They pant and hold their wings out when too hot. Loud chirping and huddling indicates too cold.... if they are chirping in distress. They may just be vocalizing in their new world.
They quieted down now... think there taking a nap. 2 left the brooder to eat then they went back under

it is normal for them to be under it - as soon as they leave it they will start cooling down fast.
Leave the food and water close and make sure to check they are going to eat and drink, otherwise show them by dipping their beak into them, once one starts, the others will follow.
They should be under the plate most of the time and eating and drinking the rest of the time.

As to determining if the height is right, I find it a bit tricky without a thermometer myself but if they are huddled then maybe lower it and if they are resting but not huddled it should be just right.
If it were to get too hot they would go to the edge of the plate where it will be slightly cooler
There spread out among the plate

I set my heat plate up at an angle, closer to the ground on one end, a bit higher on the other, that allows those that need more warmth to be closer, those that need less can move towards the higher end. I have a Brinsea Ecoglow and it adjusts easily. If you have a different brand that adjusts differently you may be able to put something under one end to make it angle that way. Adjust up a bit every few days as they grow. New chicks will spend a lot more time under it, both for warmth and because they feel secure. As they grow they will spend more time out from under it, and may start laying on top of it. Chicks will often peep loudly when they get 'lost' and are looking for others. Once they re-find the group, they quiet back down. This is especially apparent when the lights go out for the night. Constant loud cheeping is a sign of distress.

Back
Top Bottom