Brooder Plate in 70 Degree Room - Warm Enough?

Dreammaker

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
MA
Hi!

Our day-old chicks are arriving in a couple days and I'd love thoughts on our game plan:

We have a pop-up pen set up inside our sitting room and are using a brooder plate. The room temperature is usually around 65-68, but I can turn the heat up to around low 70s if need be. I haven't measured the temperature under the plate, but the plate itself doesn't feel really hot to the touch, just nice and toasty warm.

Is the brooder plate in a 70-degree room enough for day-old chicks? Do I need to bring in a space heater? If so, does it need to be on 24/7? (Not keen on that or a heat lamp; I get worried about fire risk).

Thanks!

I'd turn the heat OFF in the room. Outdoor ambient temperature is best for the brooder environment away from the heat source. I used a brooder plate with an old towel tossed over it in sub-freezing temperatures in the built-in brooder in my coop and the chicks did great.

It should be warm enough with the room with the brooder plate. I had a mishap with a few chicks early on with temperature, so I turned on a space heater at night for a few hours (2-4) to make sure the room was warm enough when my chicks were little little and the temperatures outside were 10-32 degrees.

Good luck!

I brooded mine in my bathroom where temps were in the 50's or 60's. I had to run a space heater a few times when the temp dropped too much for their comfort, but other than that they were totally fine and off heat completely by 4 weeks

Thanks, everyone! The ambient temp + brooder plate seems to be just fine. They've been happily exploring their pop-up pen and go under the plate for bedtime and little naps here and there. So far, so good 🤞I'm going to try opening the window near them to get them acclimatized to the outdoor temperature. After Memorial Day weekend, which puts them at about 4 or 5 weeks old, I will probably move them outdoors. Time to buy or build a mini coop before they head into their permanent one!

Back
Top Bottom