Chickens and plants...

hockeygirl56

Songster
Apr 21, 2011
Allenton, MI
I got a pretty cool code on a flower catalog that gives me $25 free in plants, so I'm looking at what to get. And since the chicken coop took precedence over the house this past summer, I still don't have a front porch to plant around...but I have a raised bed in front of the coop so that is the destination in mind. I found some dwarf asters I like that are in the price range but I don't want the girls to just destroy them, free or not, so does anyone have experience with these flowers and chickens, or any better choices? I want to go with perennials if possible so I don't have to replant again too. Thanks for any wisdom!!!!

One of my favorite topics!
This spring, I plan to create a chicken-friendly garden, in and around my coop/run.
I can recommend this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Free-Range-Ch...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328642785&sr=1-1

It has useful lists of plants that are chicken-resistant, and others that can provide chicken foraging, treats, etc.
I can't allow my chickens to free range around my yard full-time, but I'm planting different plants and greens that I can offer them, and also beautifying the coop area and providing shelter with plants.

you definintly should plant a ton of pea plants. they will never touch them. and of course decorative garden variety broccoli. nope, they will stay a mile away from them.....
wink.png

seriously, i planted hostas and my girls would always root around them, but not hurt or eat them. They seemed to love to get to the slugs and bugs under the leaves. They are also a very hardy plant. best for shady areas. ivy as well, they wont mess with. I did find that butterfly bushes are great for the girls. pretty flowering bush that also gives shade for them to dust under, plus the benefits of a beautiful butterfly attractant. they will dig up daisies though.

They ate my mums down to nothing. Asters are pretty hardy and regrow quickly as well.
Good luck! it is so nice thinking about spring plantings.

I LOVE this topic. It's been a challenge to find plants that the girls don't eat down to nothing, especially last summer when the only green around here was my potted plants.

I had great luck with the following plants, it's a mix of annuals, perennials, and some are technically shrubs:

Vinca minor
Vinca Rosea
Dianthus
Mexican Heather
Jasmine - Arabian and yellow
Gardenia (I have the dwarf variety)
Lantana
Salvia - maynight and scarlet varieties
Giant Elephant Ears (not the smaller caladiums, they love those :)

That is an awesome looking book! I just bought it... it'll arrive at a perfect time to start planning my gardens this year!

Thanks for posting this topic! In addition to salvias,my girls don't bother my rosemary or lavendar plants either. Thanks for all of the other suggestions for landscaping with backyard roamers. Please keep them coming. :)

What about purple wisteria? My friends mother gave me a ton of seeds. I thought the would make the ugly chainlink fence look a little better, but wasn't sure if they were safe for the chickens.....

Chickens LOVE gardens. They will weed and remove bugs for you. And usually strip the flowers down to nothing, and anything they are not interested in eating will be destroyed when they sunbathe there
lol.png

I did put some hostas in the run last year...and they las bed outside the run, so they won't be able to get to it e However, they love bathing in the dirt and scratching. I know I'm probably trying for something impossible but it would look so nice!

Back
Top Bottom