Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hello, busy trying to get the new homestead ready to move in. Got a ton more work but will be back soon.
Hiya, Sandy :frow

Thank you for the update. Be sure to ask if you have any questions about building coops or runs. BYC has a lot of articles and posts about both of those and we can provide you the links if needed. You can also click the Article tab and go from there or use the search.

Good luck with your new venture!! :hugs

Hi
I'm still here, but up to my eyes in it. We've no birds at the moment 'cos a pine martin decided it was hungry and broke in and killed the lot. Not nice !! We are looking to start again when I have sorted the coop (which I thought was secure).
That is the same as my reply to OP was going to be. So I'm posting a reply to a reply, since it's in the same vein.

I'm not keeping chickens at the moment as a pine marten killed 2 of 3 on the first round and then a few weeks later, when I thought it was really secure and had got replacement chickens, it killed the lot. I don't want to keep chickens again until I'm sure I can keep them safer.

A neighbour has lots of chickens and says loosing some chickens from some predator is par for the course. So I guess I need to harden up a bit too. He said the martens etc can get through tiny holes/gaps but are only after the eggs. They get scared by the chickens' noise and flapping and so kill them in what they see as self-defense. He said I could put an egg in a humane trap near the coop to trap it then release it somewhere else. Not sure how effective that is as I presume the marten would just find its way back.

But for the moment, like you, I don't have any chickens. I have other building works going on, so a renewed chicken coop is low priority right now.

Hi. I have one HUGE Aseel rooster, a Sumatra hen, and an Aseel/Sumatran cross hen. 3 birds, and the Aseel/Sumatran hen is brooding!! I have not counted her eggs ;) I am in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. I bought the Aseel a few years ago from a local breeder. The hen is from Cackle Hatchery (who has extremely good birds, in case you've never used them I highly recommend)

Attachments

• aseel rooster.jpg
    aseel rooster.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 1
  • sumatra hen.jpg
    sumatra hen.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 1
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Busy lives sometimes get in the way. But, have an incubator with 12 white leghorn eggs. Due to hatch tomorrow(ish). Took them off the rocker on Saturday. Can't keep up with the demand for my white pigeons. The white 'dove' release business is booming here and all my youngsters are being snapped up while they are still in the egg.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
I moved in with my mom to help her with caring for chickens. It's hard not to fall in love with these little creatures. I am more in love with the ducks. I'm still learning and trying to be a good caretaker.

Hey there! and thanks for the prompt to check in! I first came to this forum I think in 2022 because I had a duck with likely aspergillosis (a 1-year-old Cayuga named Vandie, my precious fat little duck queen) and I followed very closely the things/treatments mentioned in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...o-heal-a-duck-w-likely-aspergillosis.1517362/

The thieves oil mix works!

I am extremely happy to say that while she is not fully "cured", she is doing I'd say 95% better, now two years later. She still has a slight cough from time to time and has a hard time going through molts, but she is a strong girl and I'm very lucky to have stumbled upon this community to help her out! I have 5 chickens now, too and they are all quite a handful. A fun, loud, exciting handful.
Do you have any chickens?

I moved in with my mom to help her with caring for chickens. It's hard not to fall in love with these little creatures. I am more in love with the ducks. I'm still learning and trying to be a good caretaker.
How many chickens do you guys have?

Back
Top Bottom