Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

I'm still around but taking care of my mom is almost a full-time job. We still have our original 5 girls. Last fall they went into a molt that seemed to last the rest of the year. We actually had to buy eggs and we let the girls know it! We got three pullets beginning of this year and now that they are laying, the older girls must have felt that they should step up. Yes, we have more eggs than we can use but our neighbors love us!
Welcome back!!!Oh wow! What breeds do you own?

Hi all, Thanks for the poke, i've been super busy, well keeping myself busy to stop me thinking about them, cause i dont have any chooks, and has taken a while to think about doing it again.

Something broke into our coupe and killed all my feathered friends, was very weird though and im thinking we have a human going around killing chooks cause im not the only one, so husband is building a new coupe and the door is going to be our old security door off the house, its sad when you actually have to "lock up your chooks" but im not going to let them stop me. So will probably be about 1 year before i have anything going again.

Im very sad about it cause i shipped in the eggs and incubated them all successfully and had a system going every year i had little fluffy bums, then to go out one morning and see what i saw was heart breaking. All chooks and chicks killed, was way to neat and organised, it was like they where layed out for me with no mess of a fight, put the picture together with things that had happened over the last 2 months and it had to have been a person.
Sorry for your loss! We’d love to have you hangout and chat while rebuilding!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Thanks for the prompt to keep in touch. I'm based on a little island in New Zealand and am currently upgrading my Coup to what someone called the Chicken Hilton :thumbsup. We are midway though the project and I will send another picture when finished.

6F00EF90-96A9-4999-9AC3-53248A2F83B1_1_105_c.jpeg

Our chickens survived us until we ate them. We got lots of eggs in the mean time and shared them with the neighbors who were delighted.

For anyone freaking about broad breasted white turkeys and gmo (because it's almost impossible to find organic feed)... You can really feed them whatever you have on hand and they will be fine until you process them. We did oats, peas, sunflower seeds, flax, worms, and wheat berries and they fattened up perfectly. No harm, tasty fowl. Haha.

Everyone survived just fine before the bioengineered crap they want you to feed your food. It's okay to feed farm fresh and kind of make things up. Give yourself permission to try things out.
The best tasting meat/eggs we ever had from our chickens and pigs was the year we couldn't get pre mixed feed and supplemented with barley, garden waste and scraps / forage. If we ever get pigs again Barley is our go to!

Hello, Everybody!

Still alive, though not too muck kicking nowadays. At 75 if you try kicking you may fall on your butt!

I am almost done with my chickening. I have 6 chickens left: 4 Australorp roosters, one Australorp hen and a 10-year-old green- egger hen. All the Australorps are about 6 or 7 years old and were hatched here. They are now officially retired. No eggs from the the two hens. The two hens and one rooster roam free during the day and we put them up for the night in the garage, where they sleep safely in three cages, where nocturnal predators cannot kill them. They have learned the routine, and every night they wait by the garage's man door and when we open it each of them goes to its respective cage. The rooster is lame. Something happened to one of his toes, and we are treating it with Thrush Buster, a horse medicine. The other three roosters are in a predator-proof enclosure and sleep in a chicken house within the enclosure. They are all pet chickens and it never entered our minds to butcher them. My wife a few months ago did shoot another rooster that was part of the same hatch as the other Australorps. She had gone into another enclosure/chicken house we used to have to close the door for the night, and the rooster attacked her, inflicting several punctures and scratches on her arms and chest. She was carrying her 9mm automatic and after shaking the bird off her, she let him have it. He had been a threat all along. After all these remaining birds will have died from natural causes or other causes, no more chickens for us. They are nice to have, but we are old folks and it takes too much work to take proper care of chickens. It was a fun experience of which we have fond memories (Few things are more satisfactory than going to the chicken house and collecting a dozen or more eggs or finding just-hatched chicks and placing them in a nice, safe cage under a heat lamp in the garage and then watch them grow...).

Happy chickening to y'all

Giovanni
Welcome back to BYC!!!!!!!!! Dont be doing too much kicking🤣

Thanks for the prompt to keep in touch. I'm based on a little island in New Zealand and am currently upgrading my Coup to what someone called the Chicken Hilton :thumbsup. We are midway though the project and I will send another picture when finished.

6F00EF90-96A9-4999-9AC3-53248A2F83B1_1_105_c.jpeg
Welcome back! I look forward to seeing more pictures of "The Chicken Hilton".

Hi all, Thanks for the poke, i've been super busy, well keeping myself busy to stop me thinking about them, cause i dont have any chooks, and has taken a while to think about doing it again.

Something broke into our coupe and killed all my feathered friends, was very weird though and im thinking we have a human going around killing chooks cause im not the only one, so husband is building a new coupe and the door is going to be our old security door off the house, its sad when you actually have to "lock up your chooks" but im not going to let them stop me. So will probably be about 1 year before i have anything going again.

Im very sad about it cause i shipped in the eggs and incubated them all successfully and had a system going every year i had little fluffy bums, then to go out one morning and see what i saw was heart breaking. All chooks and chicks killed, was way to neat and organised, it was like they where layed out for me with no mess of a fight, put the picture together with things that had happened over the last 2 months and it had to have been a person.
So sorry for your loss😭! I hope you get things figured out! Welcome back to byc! Stay a while!

I maybe be ending my chicken career because we live in Northern Vermont and are starting to go to New Mexico in the winters. Maybe I could borrow some chickens for a few months ? My coop is great, secure, and I love having them. I've learned so much from BYC over the years ! We'll see what happens.....
Yay! Welcome back!!

Hi 'Nifty-Chicken' and all! I've sort of fallen off the BYC Wagon. Because of health issues, I was having a great deal of trouble taking care of my wee flock to my standards, so Paula, Penny, Patty, Peggy and Leela were re-homed to my daughter's farm where they are living their best lives. They still respond to the special 'I've got treats for you' sound when I go out to visit. I miss having them here. They were so much fun to watch and interact with, and fresh eggs were a bonus.

Wishing the BYC community all the best. I still enjoy 'all things chicken'.
Welcome back! Best wishes back at you!

Back
Top Bottom