Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

View attachment 3813263
We finally finished the run.
Wow, that looks like a marvelous run!! :love

If you have any predators, most of us use 1/2" hardware cloth and bury several inches of it to prevent diggers. If you don't have issues, then I wouldn't bother, but just mentioning it in case you do. I bet your chickens love it!!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi there-
Thanks for reaching out. I stopped getting emails from backyard chicken and wasn’t sure why. Unfortunately, we have had a decrease in our chickens. Two were lost to heart disease, one to a fox or raccoon and two to big birds(we think). Which leaves us with Blossom, an Easter Egger and Speckles, an Old English Game. We’re very protective of them🐓🐓

Howdy Peeps!
Sorry I haven't checked in for a long, long time. So much has transpired. My hubby got injured at work in October of 2022. We unfortunately had to sell everything including our home and our 100 beloved chickens and several dear ducks. We literally had to start over from scratch. Fast forward to better days. On Valentine's Day of this year we were handed the deed to our small, one acre piece of land! We're living the Camper Life and slowly getting the property ready for all of our hobbies. That most definitely includes building a coop and getting chickens and ducks again. Oh how I miss having feather babies!! We live beside a wooded area where there is quite a bit of wildlife, so I am open for any and all advice on how to allow them to free range them and build a coop that is as tight as Fort Knox. We had great devastation at our last home between the neighbors dogs, weasels, snakes, and the family of coons living in the woods. We want to be better prepared this time.
Anyway, thank y'all ahead of time for any advice you can give. Looking so forward to being a part of this awesome community again!
God bless!
Mimi Chickaduck
Hiya Mimi,

So sorry for your losses and what you've been through. It sounds like you're getting back on your feet though!!

For a run, you'll need to use 1/2" hardware cloth to keep the predators out. You can bend it at the bottom about 18" and cover with rocks or pavers, or just bury it down is even better.

For a coop, most on BYC would discourage any prebuilt ones as they never hold the number of chickens they say they will, maybe half, and they do not last like stick-built ones. You could try watch for a shed on Marketplace, or if you're in a state like here, an ice-fishing shack would work too. Otherwise, on BYC there are oodles of ways to build a coop, and make one that's predator-proof.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/

Hi there-
Thanks for reaching out. I stopped getting emails from backyard chicken and wasn’t sure why. Unfortunately, we have had a decrease in our chickens. Two were lost to heart disease, one to a fox or raccoon and two to big birds(we think). Which leaves us with Blossom, an Easter Egger and Speckles, an Old English Game. We’re very protective of them🐓🐓
I am so sorry for your losses. :hugs I am sure Blossom and Speckles are spoiled rotten! ❤

I’ve been around, just not commenting lol. Idk if anyone remembers that I had a chicken roam into my yard back in June 2020 and shortly after she brought home 9 chicks. 7 were roos so I had to give them away but I kept the 2 hens and I still have them. Bought a coop then put it in a kennel. They’ve been in there since.
Hiya, Rita,

Glad to know all is well. I do not remember that but what an endearing story! Wow. Are you thinking of getting a rooster so you could try it again with those hens? Glad they are doing well!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Well, I had forgotten all about this forum and that I was a member of it!
I no longer have any chickens. Life went in another direction and I just don't want to be responsible for anything else at this time.
I do thank you for the email though. :)

Hello! Thank you for checking in! I’ve been busy with my hens and roosters. I’ve been prepping the garden for spring and I’ve adopted two house rabbits. 1 daughter, 16 hens, two roosters, two bunnies, 3 dogs and two cats take up so much of my days (of course this non top of working full time).
Hiya, Amanda! Glad to hear from you and that everything is going great. It sounds fun! Wow, you sure keep busy though! House rabbits would be cool too. I've been thinking of trying it.

Back
Top Bottom