Bush beans and pole beans question?

Has anyone grown the Yard long beans? Thought we might try it next season.
https://www.rareseeds.com/long-bean-taiwan-yard-long
Also known as asparagus beans (i don't know why). They aren't actually beans, they're a type of cowpea. I grew them for a few seasons a while back. They're tasty if you pick them young and tender. Pretty good in stir fry and such. Mine didn't get to a yard long but many were well over a foot. Certainly worth a try!

I suggest that looking into the beans that are known to do well in your local area is a good idea. I try a new variety or two every year for the last 40 years or so. Some do well here and some don't. Some that don't do well here seem to prosper in some different areas of the country and the reverse as well. Beans are so versatile with built in seed vigor from the usually larger seeds that they all grow here, but not all prosper and produce as well. Find out what the old timers in your area have used successfully is a good starting point to make your selections.

Has anyone grown the Yard long beans? Thought we might try it next season.
https://www.rareseeds.com/long-bean-taiwan-yard-long
I have grown both a red and a green variety with great success here in the mid south. Impressive yields and can be very long! Best at about a foot long. I just do not favor the flavor of the beans. Maybe you will! They were OK for me but did not earn a return visit to my gardens. I had so many beans from a couple short(30ft.) rows that I sold them fresh and as seed that year. They are beautiful and impressive to look at as well. If I developed a market for them it would be a good choice, they are great producers all season long here, from June through October here with care and insect control.

. I just do not favor the flavor of the beans.
That's what I was wondering about, the flavor. Green beans cooked off the plant is not how I like green beans, canned is the way I like them best.

Sometimes we describe a flavor as grassy & that's what I do not like about Fresh green beans that green taste. How do you describe the taste? Did you can some?

Last edited:
That's what I was wondering about, the flavor. Green beans cooked off the plant is not how I like green beans, canned is the way I like them best.

Sometimes we describe a flavor as grassy & that's what I do not like about Fresh green beans that green taste. How do you describe the taste? Did you can some?
They were more like cowpeas or crowder peas but not as good for me. I did not can any but dried a bunch and they cooked up ok and some folks liked them. I prefer crowder peas , blackeyes or similar, rather than the yard long bean. I stir fried some young and green and they were similar , ok but not my favorite. But they do produce a lot of beans in a small space!

We have a fairly long growing season. I like to use pole beans along the outside of two beds to create an arbor over cooler crops like lettuce to keep the sunburn down in the hot weather. I am where SLUGS are all over the place. I also use DE in my beds and cornmeal in a jar set sideways which helps a lot. I was told that copper wire works too, but the only thing that was deleted was my pocketbook.
This Fall I am reworking all my raised beds to 24" high, so no bending over all the time.
~~Happy Fall and Winter Gardening. ~~
Front Garden Beds.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I had used Sluggo liquid in the past, but it washed away in the rain. Does this work in the rain? I'll give it a try~~

Back
Top Bottom