Beak Injury to male quail

BA-quail

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2024
My male quail (few months old) has been kept separate from the hens after a head injury. I'm uncertain if the girls inflicted the injury or if he injured it himself when spooked by something. He was healing well from that injury, but has now managed to break the sheath of this top beak off somehow :( I'm wondering if he was rubbing it along the mesh, maybe trying to get out and find the girls (he's been very vocal since being separated and does not seem thrilled at being by himself). He is having trouble eating (couldn't pick up a mealworm from my hand), and keeps tucking his beak into the feathers under his wing, so I assume he quite uncomfortable. Any suggestions for feeding and or pain management while he recovers? I assume that part of his beak will grow back eventually...

It doesn't look too bad - to be honest I might not have noticed anything was wrong with the beak if I hadn't seen the piece come off. It was just barely attached to the centre of the cere when I noticed, and it came off as I was investigating further.

1000003182.jpg

He doesn't look too bac, but I'm wondering if his issue with eating has more to do with his underbite. If you look closely, his bottom beak is a bit longer than his upper beak.

I would leave him alone and he will probably be close to normal by tomorrow.

So the underbite is just because the whole covering of his upper beak came off.... he didn't have the underbit before. What you can see of his upper beak now is faily soft and sensitive. The tip started bleeding as he was picking at his food, and his behaviour indicates it is sore.
I have seen him eating and drinking now, so i'm not overly worrried at this point. But it will definitely take some time to heal. poor guy. I have him inside for now so I can keep an eye on him, minimize risk of infection and ensure he keeps eating.

So the underbite is just because the whole covering of his upper beak came off.... he didn't have the underbit before. What you can see of his upper beak now is faily soft and sensitive. The tip started bleeding as he was picking at his food, and his behaviour indicates it is sore.
I have seen him eating and drinking now, so i'm not overly worrried at this point. But it will definitely take some time to heal. poor guy. I have him inside for now so I can keep an eye on him, minimize risk of infection and ensure he keeps eating.
Your doing everything you can for him. Just contine to do what your doing, he should heal on his own within a week or two.

Keep doing what you're doing. He'll recover, poor guy.

Back
Top Bottom