Baby Duck Can't Walk

asorensen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Milton, Florida
I have a baby duck that hatched about 24 hours ago and he tries to take off and it is like his one leg pushes him over onto his back and he can't seem to go anywhere. Almost like one leg is alot stronger than the other. The other thing is he sort of holds his head a little to that side as well. Do you think this is a neurological problem or just a problem with his legs? Any suggestions how to help him? Right now I have him proped up with a stuffed animal so he won't tip over and I just take him out and offer him food and water. I really hope someone has some ideas to help make this little guy better. thanks

Is he eating? Baby ducks are clumsy, and he DID hatch just 24 hrs ago, but if he isn't eating, and seems to be in pain, then there is something wrong. Are you supplementing Niacin in his water? That will make him strong, and help his little legs support his big body. You can buy a niacin/electrolytes pack on www.metzerfarms.com That's where I got my pack for my ducklings. It works great. Niacin should help him get better, and strong.
wink.png

Also,
welcome-byc.gif

There are a few different leg and foot issues ducklings can hatch with. Slipped tendon is one- but they can also issues from their possitioning in the egg. Is the foot opened?? Often just tapping the foot so that the webbing is spread allows them to better use the leg that seems odd.

Last edited:
Quote:
His feet are both open and he is eating when I hold him so he won't fall. I have given him some poultry nutridrench but I will have to check the niacin content. I have hatched a few ducks for a friend in the past and I have seen them have a hard time and be clumsy but this is different. It is almost like his one leg is really strong and tries to take off and the other won't follow so he just starts to spin and flips over. I have delt with aloth of chickens with leg issues and have successfully fixed most but this is something I haven't seen before. Oh I also moved him onto gripper shelf liner so he won't slip but he still flips over.

Totally not helpful, but I don't think I can ever hatch out ducklings. I want to cry every time I read a thread about a duckling with a problem.
hit.gif

Totally not helpful, but I don't think I can ever hatch out ducklings. I want to cry every time I read a thread about a duckling with a problem.
hit.gif
Ive got the same problem !! I’ve had ducks and sone neighbors knew this it had to be a day or two okd . They found him alone in the river on his back frantically swimming I circles. . They called me and I picked hi. Io. He’s eating drinking and just started pooping I have to set him up to lean on something while I hike his food s f water. He’s on his back alit. It’s heart breaking I don’t know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom