LoveMyChickies8

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
JT thanks for the videos of your coop door.

I am gathering information to get an automatic door on my coop. I have had a raccoon get to my flock and killed all but 2 of them. So it has to be really secure. I don’t mind buying a premade one or building my own. Just want the most secure and safe one.

JT, I was wondering when you said it uses a string how you would then keep it shut. I see noe in your video the lock you use. Can you give me an estimate on the total cost to build your door? And where did you get most of your parts? Especially the sunrise/sunset timer you spoke about.

I got all the parts from Amazon. I'm currently programing a Raspberry Pi 3 to replace the Ardunio Nano. The sunrise/sunset is a library that is used by the program. I'll update my Automation thread this weekend with links.

I have $38 in the relays, door switches, door lock and the motor. The original Arduno Nano cost about $10 or so, since going to the Raspberry Pi 3 with a terminal block shield and a 16GB micro SD card that part is $70. With the Pi I'll be able to operate things in the coop with my cell phone if I like as well as check on the status of things.

JT

The weight of the door keeps it shut, or you can build a cam type of arrangement. To make your door secure from being lifted by a coon, be sure that the animal can not get his paws/claws under the front bottom lip of the door. Put a sturdy piece of wood trim to cover the bottom edge so the door slides down below that piece of trim.

I love my door, paid less than $100 for a kit with all of the electrical components. Already had a guillotine style door installed. However, these doors are not without risk concerning predators. Chief issue being: I have mine set to close after dusk b/c the juveniles love to stay up past the hour when respectable hens go to bed.

Thanks for the info and help. I am going to run a series of 3 “hot” wires at different heights on the outside of the run and set it with a timer to be on from dusk to dawn to help deter these racoons. Also ran hardware cloth out on the ground 1’. So hopefully this door will be more than sufficient to keep them out of the coop. I don’t want to experience going out in the morning to a loss like this last one.

I used a timer at first while I was coding the Raspberry Pi 3 now it opens when the lights come on in the morning 14 hours before sunset and closes at dusk. The times are updated each morning at 2AM automagicly. When sunrise to sunset is > 14 hours then the door opens at sunrise and no lights are used. 225 lbs is the force it can exert it is impossible to move one by pushing. I wonder what a chicken looks like if it gets caught in that door...

JT

I wondered about squishing a chicken too. But they all roost up before the door closes. I adjust the timer as needed so it closes about 10-15 minutes after they head in. It makes some noise and takes about 10 seconds to close, if they were in the way, I would hope they move.

I like the idea of a Pi3, but don't feel I know enough about coding to get into it. Maybe with my next, larger coop.

Back
Top Bottom