Am I doing something wrong?

Wait… I have to put the chicks on their roost? I moved them out in haste as the new husky puppy has been terrorizing the pullets and actually caught one. Cinnabon is fine. Puppy caught a whoopin.
If you want them to sleep on the roost, you probably have to put them on it.

But you can just let them sleep on the floor. If you provide a roost, they will start by playing on it in the daytime and continuing to sleep on the floor, but eventually they will start roosting at night all by themselves. Some batches of chicks start this sooner than others: I've seen some that were roosting at night by about a month old, and others that weren't roosting until they were almost old enough to lay eggs, and plenty in between. Those ages are what I've seen in chicks that were raised in a pen with no older chickens. Being in a pen with older chickens seems able to change the age up or down: they see the example of the older ones roosting so they may want to start at a younger age, but the older chickens may chase them off the roost which can keep them on the floor until they are older.

I'm coming in late so I have the advantage of better information. At that age they can handle those temperatures as long as they are out of breezes and rain.

It's probably the first time they have been in total dark. After a few minutes (maybe 10 to 15 minutes the first time) they should stop and go to sleep. The second night it's usually 5 minutes, if any. After that they should have made the adjustment and just go to sleep. Each brood is different, for some it is no problem from the start.

First day/night outside and they’re chirping a lot and all huddled together. It’s low 70s outside… is there some sort or adjustment period? Or did I just throw them to the wolves?
If they are huddled, they are cold. Provide heat source that they can get closer to/further from as needed. Once they aren't huddled any more, and staying away from heat source, you can get rid of it.
Maybe it's outside of frame, but it looks like hey dont have any shelter or bedding in wired box?

Back
Top Bottom