kbgrover

In the Brooder
May 30, 2022
I have 7 week old chicks, we live in Maine and the temps outside are now around 50-60 degrees F during the day and around 40 degrees F at night. Is this a safe temp to move them outside? The are fully feathered and we tested some time outside today. When I went outside to check on them before bed, they were all piled by the door - not shivering and I felt them all and they’re warm. I brought them back inside for tonight because I was too nervous to leave them overnight. So I’ve been thinking about letting them be in their outside coop during the day bringing them in at night as the temps continue to rise.

They are inside now but are still piling up…they may sleep like this I don’t know if they have been sleeping like this every night it’s the first I’ve noticed.

Are they too cold or is piling typical behavior for a new environment? I’m sure it’s different and it could be a comfort thing from what I’ve read. They’re inside now but still cuddling. Thanks in advance!!

Normal for them to pile up to sleep. They should be fine outside in those temps as long as you've had them off heat and given them some time outside to acclimate.
Although I generally agree with Rosemary here (especially the acclimating part) I'd let it get a little warmer at night before I would personally put them out. I know brooding is a drag, but 40 is pretty cold for a chick who's used to a much warmer environment.

Although I generally agree with Rosemary here (especially the acclimating part) I'd let it get a little warmer at night before I would personally put them out. I know brooding is a drag, but 40 is pretty cold for a chick who's used to a much warmer environment.
That's fair - I did include that they needed to be off heat and allowed to acclimate to outside temps. At 7 weeks a healthy standard feathered chick would handle the outside temperatures fine, once acclimated. OP didn't mention if they were fully off heat yet or not, and it did not sound like they were acclimated more than a day? But I could be misreading it.

Back
Top Bottom