Am I doing something wrong?

Mar 10, 2024
First day/night outside and they’re chirping a lot and all huddled together. It’s low 70s outside… is there some sort or adjustment period? Or did I just throw them to the wolves?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    832.3 KB · Views: 146
First day/night outside and they’re chirping a lot and all huddled together. It’s low 70s outside… is there some sort or adjustment period? Or did I just throw them to the wolves?
They need bedding and they still need a heat source when they're that small. Do you have a brooder plate?

How old are they? How many feathers do they have? Those points can make a big difference in whether they need additional heat or not.

Do they have a sheltered area to sleep in, rather than that exposed corner? If they do have a sheltered area, maybe you could pick them up and put them there, and see if they are happier in a little while.

Do you have an actual coop or house? If so, I would manually put them to bed on the roost or in the shelter. If they stay next to the fence there more susceptible to the weather and predators, especially raccoons that may come by and pull them apart through the fence. Speaking from experience.

How old are they? Do they have a heat plate or lamp? If not, I would put one out there, just in case they're cold. Did you wean them off of heat slowly, or just put them out there? Chicks cheeping loudly is never a good sign. They're either scared or cold or both.
They were off the heat lamp inside the house for nearly a week and we keep the house in the mid to high 60s most of the day. It’s warmer outside than that.

They need a shelter to sleep in. If this is a temporary place you don't have to make a huge coop for them. I made a small temporary coop for my hens when I was introducing them to the flock. Just some 2x4's some plywood, an open bottom roost for them with hardware cloth to keep the predators from coming in the bottom. Just somewhere safe for them to sleep and roost.

They were off the heat lamp inside the house for nearly a week and we keep the house in the mid to high 60s most of the day. It’s warmer outside than that.

Then they are probably scared, and they may also be chilly from wind or drafts (because of which corner they are huddled in.)

Do they have a coop or shelter to go in? If not, maybe turn a cardboard box on its side and put them in that for the night. Once it is dark, they are likely to stay where you put them, rather than walking around when they cannot see.

How cold will it be by morning? How many are there? In your pic they look like day-old to week-old chicks (on my phone).

General rule of thumb, as far as I know, is that chicks in their first week should have access to heat up to 85-90°F with slightly cooler temps also accessible. Lower the temps by 5° per week until ambient temps are matched or they are fully feathered. For myself, at 3 to 4 weeks I stop supplementing heat, but they are in an enclosed brooder at night with bedding and can cuddle for warmth. Others may do differently.

Back
Top Bottom