3 week old guinea keets

johnsonhillfarm

Songster
Jul 1, 2021
I have kept my guinea keets inside because it has been too cold (low 30^'s)but they are getting wild and need to go to coop asap. I have a coop for them and Temps next week will get to low 50's. Will their ecoglow which they are not even getting under right now, be enough outside in the coop? I also have a radiant wall heater and water warmer as well. I had originally had them in my shed with heater, infrared lamp and ecoglow and lost 10 because they got too cold. Ia hoping they are big enough to handle the lower Temps. I am in
Texas and weather is wonky. Very cold this week but next it won't be too bad 78/52

Last edited:
I have kept my guinea keets inside because it has been too cold (low 30^'s)but they are getting wild and need to go to coop asap. I have a coop for them and Temps next week will get to low 50's. Will their ecoglow which they are not even getting under right now, be enough outside in the coop? I also have a radiant wall heater and water warmer as well. I had originally had them in my shed with heater, infrared lamp and ecoglow and lost 10 because they got too cold. Ia hoping they are big enough to handle the lower Temps. I am in
Texas and weather is wonky. Very cold this week but next it won't be too bad 78/52
Hello.
Your post caught my eye, I love my guienas and wanted to share from my experience. After hatching my own seven to eight days inside the house in a swimming pool it is time for the guienas to go outside, because they get stinky. Wink.
The best time to relocate is noon straight up, gives them so time to acclimate to their new surroundings before dark.
I suggest have a good amount of hay until winter is over, outside of their new home and "enclosed area"where they have enough room to grow and move around. Keep them in a large area for two months. They will be fine.

Make sure three sides are covered for drafts (cardboard box on three sides and tarp or shower curtain), only one side to look out. The top where the heat lamp (or however your going to do it) is a little tricky, fix that as well where all the heat does not escape. Keep them away from the North area.
For extra safety from the cold you can surround their housing with particle boards too. It gives them extra warmth.
Hay, they love hay. It is so cute watching them nestle in the hay. I wish you the very best with your baby guienas.

How old are your keets? Are they fully feathered?

Back
Top Bottom