Your 2024 Garden

Pics
I'm going to start my seeds tomorrow. I'm getting very anxious and I figure, this will give me time if some don't come up. The romas and pepper seeds that I saved from last year have me a little worried, just because I've never saved seeds before
If they were dried properly and then inside an air tight container (baggie or envelope) they should be fine. I don't usually save seed anymore as I try to plant disease resistant varieties that I know have good flavor and productivity now. I've tried more than one heirloom that gave me a disappointing crop failure due to wilt disease and not many tomatoes. I know that their are some good ones but just not what they are.

I put the short trellis over my snap peas:
1000038271.jpg

The carrots I planted have not yet emerged (they're under the covering)

And violets are in bloom all over the yard:
IMG_20240308_160437767.jpg

Evening primroses are turning green:
IMG_20240308_161108368~2.jpg

Wild strawberries are blooming:
IMG_20240308_160923958_HDR~3.jpg

⬆️ In this photo I also see Carolina geraniums, clover, and purple deadnettle.

My crinum lilies are sprouting:
IMG_20240308_160421437.jpg

Camellia bush...nuff said!
IMG_20240308_161241266_HDR~2.jpg

And finally, just a few daffodils are holding on:
IMG_20240308_161207114~2.jpg

I'm going to start my seeds tomorrow. I'm getting very anxious and I figure, this will give me time if some don't come up. The romas and pepper seeds that I saved from last year have me a little worried, just because I've never saved seeds before
Peppers take longer to grow than tomatoes. I start mine a couple weeks before I start my tomatoes. Gardening is a great science experiment! Have fun and I hope they both germinate for you!

Peppers take longer to grow than tomatoes. I start mine a couple weeks before I start my tomatoes. Gardening is a great science experiment! Have fun and I hope they both germinate for you!
Yeah I start my peppers in January (was late this year, and started in Feb) and tomatoes as late as March. Generally tomatoes go out in early May for me, so that's plenty of time to get them big enough to plant outside, whereas peppers need to stay in longer as they generally want warmer temps.

Yeah I start my peppers in January (was late this year, and started in Feb) and tomatoes as late as March. Generally tomatoes go out in early May for me, so that's plenty of time to get them big enough to plant outside, whereas peppers need to stay in longer as they generally want warmer temps.

Peppers due to liking warmer temps do better starting on a heating matte like used in greenhouses.
That's how I start mine. I've had the same mat for years.

I ran a crazy experiment one year and started corn inside my house in December then transplanted outside when weather permitted. It worked. I used “ornamental Indian corn” cobs, I had been given by friends, rubbed the cobs clean of seed and grew it. I also stopped watering in the middle of summer, because of drought, and it just kept growing. I’ve also grown popcorn from the stuff I buy at the store for the air popper. Just fun experimenting. I will probably grow popcorn or grain corn this year again.

On the subject of peppers my paternal grandfather grew vegetables for a major source of his income. One fall down in sunny FL before I was born he planted a fall pepper patch. know that a freeze could wipe out all of his inputs and efforts. Well a freeze did come but my mom helped him cover the small plants with dirt and then uncover them the next day and all was well. So well he made a profit large enough to add to rooms onto his farm house. My grandmother was so mad with him for risking what he did that she would not help him cover them up. She sure helped spend all the money on her new bedroom and breakfast room.

On the subject of peppers my paternal grandfather grew vegetables for a major source of his income. One fall down in sunny FL before I was born he planted a fall pepper patch. know that a freeze could wipe out all of his inputs and efforts. Well a freeze did come but my mom helped him cover the small plants with dirt and then uncover them the next day and all was well. So well he made a profit large enough to add to rooms onto his farm house. My grandmother was so mad with him for risking what he did that she would not help him cover them up. She sure helped spend all the money on her new bedroom and breakfast room.
That is a great story! Our ancestors perserved so much!

Back
Top Bottom