Your 2024 Garden

Pics
Rain derailed my tomato planting day so I went shopping for more seed. I'm trying a pound of a new sweet corn, KY Wonder pole beans, pink eye purple hull field peas, and some Roma II bush beans. I got another 16 tomato plants and 8 eggplant plants. I'm prepared to do battle with flea beetles that like to eat eggplant plants like I eat slabs of grilled eggplant.

In a perfect world, does anyone know how many peppers I should get from each of my plants, roughly? Like is it generally 2-3? Or 10+? I'm just debating if 12(maybe more, depending on if I decide to only do 1 per spot this year or do all that look strong like I did last year) of each will be enough.
The answer in my experience varies vastly! If it's habaneros, it takes a long time, but the plant will be loaded with 30-40 of those little firebombs.

Jalapenos are more moderate, and I get 12-20 per plant.

Sweet bell peppers? A really productive plant will give me 5 big peppers. Some plants, I get 1 or 2. Sweet peppers don't do that well for me.

Banana peppers do much better, and I can get a dozen, easily.

I've pretty much given up on the big bell style peppers. I might try a little bell plant and see if I can get better production.

In a perfect world, does anyone know how many peppers I should get from each of my plants, roughly? Like is it generally 2-3? Or 10+? I'm just debating if 12(maybe more, depending on if I decide to only do 1 per spot this year or do all that look strong like I did last year) of each will be enough.
A friend of mine grew some jalapeno peppers in a garden made on an old, decomissioned chicken run- very fertile soil. The plants were 4 or 5 feet tall and a couple feet in diameter. They were loaded with peppers, with probably around 100 peppers on each plant. They were amazing plants.

I grew bell peppers last year in my new garden and there were only a couple peppers on each plant.

So I guess the number of peppers on each plant depends on the quality of the soil your peppers are growing in and the growing conditions.

Depends on the pepper but on my jalapeños and bells last year, I got dozens. Yes, dozens of peppers off both. I made so many jalapeño poppers, I can make them in my sleep. Then I dried a lot, froze more, and ate all we could as fresh

A friend of mine grew some jalapeno peppers in a garden made on an old, decomissioned chicken run- very fertile soil. The plants were 4 or 5 feet tall and a couple feet in diameter. They were loaded with peppers, with probably around 100 peppers on each plant. They were amazing plants.

I grew bell peppers last year in my new garden and there were only a couple peppers on each plant.

So I guess the number of peppers on each plant depends on the quality of the soil your peppers are growing in and the growing conditions.
I add my old chicken bedding to my garden soil, this is what I attributed to the many peppers I got. My farmer uncle also gave me a hint, plant your pepper plants close enough together that they can touch when they get big enough. I don't know if that worked but I followed his advice and never had so many peppers growing before

What kind of pepper? I'm assuming Bell pepper? It depends on how long your season is. 3-12 is a good guess. If they had an indoor home by a sunny window and a grow lamp may 15-20.

The answer in my experience varies vastly! If it's habaneros, it takes a long time, but the plant will be loaded with 30-40 of those little firebombs.

Sweet bell peppers? A really productive plant will give me 5 big peppers. Some plants, I get 1 or 2. Sweet peppers don't do that well for me.

I've pretty much given up on the big bell style peppers. I might try a little bell plant and see if I can get better production.

Depends on the pepper but on my jalapeños and bells last year, I got dozens. Yes, dozens of peppers off both. I made so many jalapeño poppers, I can make them in my sleep. Then I dried a lot, froze more, and ate all we could as fresh
Mostly various hot and possibly bell peppers. Sweet peppers too, I think (they were with the hot peppers in the catalog but are supposed to be sweet, not spicy).

I grow bells and cayenne. I get lots per plant but have a fairly long growing season. I like to keep some cayenne pepper vinegar and freeze bell pepper strips to cook with.

I have some cabbage plants grown from seed and some potatoes to plant but we've had rain so the garden is a bit wet to be digging. I hope to be able to get these in the ground soon. More rain coming but at least the temps have been nice.

One year I planted Gypsy peppers, bigger than banana peppers, not blocky like stuffing peppers. They did really well.

The key to good pepper yields is warm weather, as peppers like it hotter than tomatoes.

IMG_20240305_171648864_HDR~2.jpg

Peas are growing!

Back
Top Bottom