Your 2024 Garden

Pics
We have a pressure canner that can also be used as a water bath for tomatoes and other acidic vegetables. It holds 14 quart jars at a time. When tomatoes peak I hope we get a years needs canned in a week for us and a family member nearby. Also we will pressure can 50 quarts of Roma beans. We've been out for a couple of years with the move we made to get here. I hope we find local seed today for the beans. We really like the Roma beans cooked with new potatoes and just maybe we can get the two to mature at the same time and can a few of them together. Carrots are being planted for canning 50 quarts too. l think we will have nearly a years supply of staples canned or frozen this year. We've never canned sweet corn before but this may be the year for that too. We are planting enough of that for 50 pints in addition to 50 pints for the freezer.

OOOOOF! That has to be HEAVY when it's full!
Yes. That why you use a gas range to slide it across the grate if you need to move it. If a water bath no problem on a smooth top that I see. I wouldn't pressure can on a smooth top. We have a special additional range for pressure canning. The top is lower down making it easier to load, unload, and move. Just a two burner. We will soon see how that is going to work.

We have a special additional range for pressure canning. The top is lower down making it easier to load, unload, and move. Just a two burner. We will soon see how that is going to work.
What a fantastic thing to have! Picture?

One reason I have not replaced the "stopped working a decade ago" exhaust fan over the stove is the clearance. Also, no microwave going in that spot either, for the same reason.

What a fantastic thing to have! Picture?
I'll get you a picture of the setup soon. Remind me again. Right now I hardly have time to eat. The gas stove runs off of a propane tank like a turkey fryer and can be used outside for safety. Our goal is to build a canning/jelly kitchen separate from the house like a cousin of ma's did long ago. I'm thinking a 16x28 would be a nice kitchen for canning and jelly making. Dehydrating too. The first year we grew okra here ma did just a partial dehydrate on some okra cut ready to fry and stored in a canning jar as it came out of the dehydrator. It fries just like it was fresh still and that was in 2022. I got very little done today after having to travel with ma for a medical appointment. That's ok as I needed some rest. I did find some tomato plants and sweet red onion plants that will go in the ground tomorrow. Rain is still scheduled to start Friday and last for the better part of a week. After that it is looking good to get all the plots worked up and planted.

Our goal is to build a canning/jelly kitchen separate from the house like a cousin of ma's did long ago. I'm thinking a 16x28 would be a nice kitchen for canning and jelly making. Dehydrating too.
I would LOVE to have an outdoor/auxiliary kitchen for that kind of thing. Some place to bake stuff in the summer, when it's stinking hot and you don't want to run the oven, as we don't have AC. I'd love to have it plumbed for hot/cold water, a stove, and be enclosed enough to keep everything out of the weather. Drain the pipes for the winter and close it up about October/November.

Back
Top Bottom