Your 2024 Garden

Pics
I have grown both but not at the same time. I think they both grew well but we preferred the taste of the Red Pontiac.
My husband likes the Kennebec, but I think that's mostly because that's what he grew up growing & eating. We grow some Kennebec (cause he likes them) and then we also grow Yukon Gold and Red Pontiac. Our harvest of all of them was very good this year. I'm not sure which produced more. It would work better if we'd plant equal amounts of everything....

For canning the variety may not effect the taste as much as if used fresh do you think?
Maybe. I did can some. To me red skin potatoes taste different than white skin varieties. They just have better flavor and the texture is more creamy.

When added to soup or stew I can't tell as much difference. I suppose because of the additional ingredients.

Like @CedarLane said it could be because that's what my parents and grandparents grew so I ate more red skin types growing up.

I also usually buy red skin potatoes at the store.

I got my seed order!
I got a butternut squash called Indian Brave to try. This is new to me this year.
20240113_100712.jpg

My local CSA is offering a bunch of plant starts. Normally I start my own, but they had some native perennial flowers and medicinal herbs that intrigued me, so I preordered a bunch. Perennials will go toward the side of my property, not near the garden, and medicinal herbs will most likely go in pots. I’m excited to get some new things to plant beside my usually veggies!

My local CSA is offering a bunch of plant starts. Normally I start my own, but they had some native perennial flowers and medicinal herbs that intrigued me, so I preordered a bunch. Perennials will go toward the side of my property, not near the garden, and medicinal herbs will most likely go in pots. I’m excited to get some new things to plant beside my usually veggies!
I would love to get medicinal herbs

I ordered my seeds tonight! I usually just buy seeds from Walmart or my local hardware store. But I want to save more seeds so I wanted to go with non gmo and heirloom varieties. Got them from rareseeds.com Never heard of the company but they seemed pretty good

I ordered my seeds tonight! I usually just buy seeds from Walmart or my local hardware store. But I want to save more seeds so I wanted to go with non gmo and heirloom varieties. Got them from rareseeds.com Never heard of the company but they seemed pretty good
I think that's the same company I got seeds from, Baker Creek. Loved the squash and borage seeds.

Back
Top Bottom