Your 2024 Garden

Pics
I have read that slings to help support melons can help. I'd be worried that when they're ready to "slip," ie, ripe, that they'd fall on the ground and go splat.

I used a sling of sorts on my biggest luffa. It was the mesh bag that onions come in.

I don't buy onions, but man! those bags are useful! I use them to hang up eggshells to dry.

I have read that slings to help support melons can help. I'd be worried that when they're ready to "slip," ie, ripe, that they'd fall on the ground and go splat.

I used a sling of sorts on my biggest luffa. It was the mesh bag that onions come in.

I don't buy onions, but man! those bags are useful! I use them to hang up eggshells to dry.
Yeah, at least one of the varieties is supposed to just slip off the stem when ripe. I hadn't thought of slings. We get plenty of net bags though, and I could definitely snag them for gardening

Anyone have a favorite pumpkin that grows large that makes good chicken feed?
Styrian Pumpkin have hulless seeds that are delicious! The pumpkin flesh doesn't make great human eating and is typically pawned off onto livestock.

Other common hulless seed varieties include: Kakai, Tripple Treat, Lady Godiva

(if you think you might like to treat yourself at the same time!)

I've never grow any of the winter squash like Butternut. Do they vine as much as pumpkins and melons?

If I can find a spot I may give these a try.
I'm a huge fan of Honeynut Butternut. They're extra sweet and yummy butternut squashes in a tiny individual serving size. Their skin is soft enough to eat, so I'm not sure if they're as storage friendly as the butternut.

I bought them at a farmers market and planted the seeds, but didn't have much success.

Does anyone know if the smaller (4> lbs) melons would be possible to trellis? Most of my melonsni have coming are small because I'm the only one who will consistently eat them, and trellising would save a bit of space.
I grew both cantaloupes and watermelons on a cattle panel trellis. The cantaloupes did fine. However, the watermelons fell off their slings, but that was my fault.

I think a sketch journal might be fun to keep. Does anyone have one from past years they could share pics of? Just looking for clues as to what to include in mine, I'm seeing dozens of different pages from plant dates to pesticide calenders to garden plotting....
I received an appointment book in the mail today. I think I will use it as a garden/chicken journal, with planting dates, how many eggs, etc.

I like my phone and iPad but prefer paper and pen.
:caf

Back
Top Bottom